Craig A. Beaker advances and protects the interests of clients across a range of industries, including transportation, fashion, consumer goods and health products, insurance, and media and entertainment, to name a few. He advises on all aspects of intellectual property law, with particular emphasis on trademark clearance and prosecution in the United States and abroad, trademark enforcement, development of U.S. and global trademark strategies, and licensing. Clients also benefit from his experience in advertising/marketing law, domain name and Internet intellectual property issues, copyright enforcement and protection, and rights of publicity issues.
Mr. Beaker was selected for inclusion in the 2016 Illinois Rising Stars® list, featuring outstanding young attorneys in the state.
- Intellectual property (trademark and copyright) enforcement actions, including foreign litigation matters
- Worldwide trademark counseling and portfolio management
- Transactional and licensing arrangements
- Advertising and marketing review
- Copyright counseling, including photography and digital rights management issues
Mr. Beaker has experience representing clients in a range of industries, including:
- Fashion & Apparel
- Food & Beverage
- Media & Entertainment
- Nutritional Supplements
Background and Credentials
Mr. Beaker has managed the U.S. trademark prosecution and enforcement program for one of the world’s most recognized brand investment groups and served as the lead associate in a trademark infringement and counterfeiting action that resulted in a multi-million dollar judgment against an unauthorized distributor of a unique beverage. Previously, Mr. Beaker clerked at the Cook County Circuit Court, where he drafted judicial orders and researched and prepared memoranda on pre-trial issues, sentencing, and appellate matters. In addition, Mr. Beaker handled pre-trial, trial, and media issues for the highly-publicized case of People of the State of Illinois v. William Balfour.
Mr. Beaker received his Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, in Diplomacy and Foreign Affairs and Latin American Studies from Miami University (OH). He received his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from Loyola University Chicago School of Law, where he was conference editor of the Loyola Law Journal. He is fluent in reading, writing, and speaking Spanish.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- Miami University (B.A., cum laude)
- Diplomacy and Foreign Affairs and Latin American Studies
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Publications and Presentations
- "Careers in IP Law," Presented to Loyola University Chicago School of Law, November 2012
Community and Professional Involvement
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC)
- Chicago Bar Association (CBA)
- IP Law Meet Competition, Adviser for Loyola University Chicago School of Law Team
- Chicago Intellectual Property Association, Student Mentor