Danielle K. Johnson is a former U.S. Patent & Trademark Office trademark examining attorney, and brings invaluable insider knowledge to the Firm’s trademark prosecution matters. Clients and colleagues benefit from her efficient and knowledgeable handling of trademark applications, and her in-depth understanding of the process of evaluating marks for conflicts is an important asset when it comes to advising clients about the availability and enforcement of trademark rights.
- Frequently overcome refusals issued by the USPTO, securing trademark registrations for clients
- Assist with clearance, prosecution, and maintenance of Fortune 100 company’s portfolio, consisting of over 400 United States marks
- Enforce trademarks of consumer goods company in the U.S. and abroad
Background and Credentials
During her time as a trademark examining attorney at the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, Ms. Johnson examined thousands of trademark applications for substantive and procedural bars to federal registration. This experience informs her approach to clearing marks, prosecuting applications, and counseling clients on prosecution strategy. Her work enforcing clients’ rights against infringers is grounded in her complete understanding of how potential conflicts are objectively analyzed, and she handles “cease and desist” matters, takedown proceedings involving infringing materials online, and representing clients in matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Ms. Johnson completed a Fulbright scholarship from 2009–2010, teaching English in Alicante, Spain. She received her J.D. from Indiana University Maurer School of Law, where she served on the editorial board for the Indiana Law Journal and also founded the School of Law’s Society for Law and the Arts. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in creative writing and Spanish, summa cum laude, from Hope College. While at Hope College, Ms. Johnson was a member of Sigma Delta Pi National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society, Phi Beta Kappa, and the Mortar Board National Honor Society.
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law (Bloomington) (J.D.)
- Hope College (B.A., summa cum laude)
- Creative Writing and Spanish
Publications and Presentations
- “Online Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights,” Panelist, Presented to Clients, September 2016
- “The Possible Deaccessioning of the Detroit Institute of Arts Collection,” Three-part Guest Blog Series on The Deaccessioning Blog