David C. Read effectively crafts domestic and international patent protection strategies for clients worldwide. Clients find him a knowing and seasoned advocate across a broad spectrum of businesses and industries, primarily in the mechanical and electro-mechanical fields. With more than 20 years of wide-ranging IP work, including patent prosecution and litigation, reliable opinions and counseling, he is recognized with a Martindale-Hubbell® AV Peer Review Rating™. His experience as an adjunct professor of law, coupled with his development of a ground breaking firm-wide mentoring program, leaves him well-positioned to communicate important legal and technical considerations to clients, and on their behalf. Mr. Read is also a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee responsible for managing the firm.
In addition, he has been frequently involved in patent litigation, including post trial proceedings and appeals, as well as a variety of post-issuance matters regarding patent reexaminations and reissues. Mr. Read was selected as a 2013 "Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property" by American Lawyer Media (ALM) and Martindale-Hubbell.
- Successfully prosecuted a portfolio of patents covering weighing systems for weighing bulk packaged goods. The systems enable suppliers to save costs by delivering more precisely measured quantities of bulk goods.
- Obtained issuance of a number of patents directed to precision drill bits capable of satisfying strict tolerance requirements through the use of an innovative arrangement of crush faces and cutting blades.
- Prepared, filed and prosecuted a number of non-provisional and provisional patent applications covering significant advancements in medical device technology. A number of these devices show significant promise and present additional life-saving treatment options.
- Coordinated the U.S. and foreign filing and prosecution of a number of devices and methods that permit process control systems and related equipment to operate with lower fugitive emissions, longer service life, and improved in-service monitoring and maintenance.
Mr. Read has earned the trust of his clients by protecting their rights in a wide variety of mechanical and electro-mechanical areas, including:
- Medical devices
- Engine control technology
- Fuel injectors and braking systems
- Process control valves, regulators, and related equipment and systems
- Construction equipment, heavy machinery, paving machines and asphalt manufacturing
- Manufacturing equipment technology
- Spacecraft orientation and navigation control systems
- Diverse array of consumer products, such as toys, shelving and storage systems, commercial display systems, recreational and commercial vehicles, sporting goods and snowmobiles
Background and Credentials
Mr. Read has gained valuable patent rights for his manufacturing clients around the world, whether heavy equipment, consumer product, or aircraft manufacturers. He also brings extensive experience with analysis and advice on their rights, capably handling non-infringement, invalidity, and freedom to operate opinions and related counseling.
Mr. Read was formerly associated with Baker & Daniels, and has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Valparaiso University School of Law.
While earning his J.D. from Valparaiso University School of Law in 1992, he served on the Law Review. His technical training began with his B.S. in Civil Engineering from Purdue University in 1986.
- Valparaiso University School of Law (J.D.)
- Purdue University (B.S.)
- Civil Engineering
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Community and Professional Involvement
- Chairman, Marshall, Gerstein & Borun’s Professional Development Committee