Gregory J. Chinlund serves as Chair of the Firm's Trademark practice group. For start-up to multi-national companies with trademarks to develop and protect in the U.S. and internationally, Mr. Chinlund adeptly protects their brands – the ultimate value of a company. Similarly, for clients that gain a competitive advantage from novel product design, he counsels clients to capture maximum protection from design patents in order to enhance the value derived from industrial design. He also pro-actively counsels clients on copyrights, helping negotiate effective agreements and enforcing rights when necessary. Mr. Chinlund's balance, diverse experience and pragmatic approach, together with an education and background in marketing and business, uniquely position him to serve as a critical legal resource for clients.
Mr. Chinlund holds a Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating and was selected as a 2013 "Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property" by American Lawyer Media (ALM) and Martindale-Hubbell. He was also recognized by the World Trademark Review (WTR) in the 2013 and 2014 WTR 1000 rankings and as an IP Star in Managing IP’s World IP Handbook and Survey (2013 and 2014). Mr. Chinlund was selected for inclusion in the 2014 Illinois Super Lawyers® list. Only five percent of the lawyers in the state are recognized each year.
- Advises leading provider of electronics and technology solutions on matters critical to its marketing functions such as trademark clearance, prosecution and enforcement. Mr. Chinlund also conducts advertising review and negotiates licenses and vendor agreements for this client.
- Handles trademark prosecution and design patent matters for manufacturer of vacuum cleaners known worldwide.
- Counsels client regarding industrial design protection and enforcement for its famous brands of writing instruments such as pens and markers.
- For an industry-leader in the manufacture of electronic components for hearing aids, phones, and headsets; Mr. Chinlund counsels the client on all trademark matters – from conception and clearance to prosecution and enforcement – to ensure protection of the client's brands, which are synonymous with high quality
BACKGROUND AND CREDENTIALS
Mr. Chinlund counsels and assists clients with protecting goodwill that has been developed over many years and helps newer companies develop and protect brands that can become the most valuable assets of the business. During his years of trademark practice, he has provided hundreds of opinions to and prosecuted hundreds of applications on behalf of clients as well as represented clients in inter partes proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Trial and Appeal Board and trademark infringement cases. With many of the firm’s clients conducting business internationally, Mr. Chinlund also assists with registering and enforcing trademark rights worldwide.
Mr. Chinlund has also assisted with the successful prosecution of hundreds of applications and delivered reliable opinions for design patents, including the aesthetic of writing instruments, furniture, office products, personal electronic devices, sporting goods, and a wide array of other products. He works with clients proactively to anticipate the universe of potential applications of a client’s design, and provides guidance encompassing possible infringement, design-arounds, and potential conflicts with the designs of others.
In the area of copyright law, he has helped clients – including marketing professionals, artists, musicians, movie producers, photographers, programmers and software developers, writers and others – protect, enforce and derive economic benefit from their artistic endeavors throughout the creative process.
Mr. Chinlund’s skill set is the result of these diverse work experiences as well as presentation of cases in the state Appellate and Illinois Supreme Court, which resulted in wins for clients in non-intellectual property related cases.
His education in marketing and personal business experience, as well as years of working with marketing professionals, has provided him with an intimate understanding of the business mind set. As a result, Mr. Chinlund understands the value of avoiding unnecessary legal posturing when a conflict arises so that the parties can resolve the matter and return to business as usual.
Mr. Chinlund received his juris doctor, cum laude, from Northern Illinois University College of Law and his bachelor’s degree in marketing from Iowa State University.
- Northern Illinois University College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Iowa State University, B.A., Marketing
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- “E-enforcement: Confronting Online Offenses,” ICANN's New Generic Top-Level Domain (gTLD) Program, Live Presentation, September 9, 2011.
- “Not All Endorsements Are Alike,” Medical Device + Diagnostic Industry, August, 24, 2011 (co-author).
- “Consumer Confusion or Profitable Promotion?” Served as panel speaker and discussed current copyright/trademark trends at the Law Bulletin Corporate IP Conference on February 8, 2011.
- “Helping Clients Stay a Few Steps Ahead in the Electronic World,” chapter in Inside the Minds - Recent Trends in Trademark Protection: Leading Lawyers on Advising Clients, Reviewing Trademark Strategies, and Responding to Recent Fraud, Aspatore Books, January 2011 (co-author).
- “The Growing Problem of Trademark Registration Scams,” IPToday, December 2010 (contributing author and editor).
COMMUNITY AND PROFESSIONAL INVOLVEMENT
- Member of the Firm's Finance Committee and former member of the Firm's Marketing Committee.
- National Football League Players Association (NFLPA) Certified Contract Advisor.
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts, a not-for-profit organization, providing counsel on a pro bono basis for starving artists in need of legal assistance but without the financial means to pay for it.
- Licensed Real Estate Broker in Illinois.
- Pharmaceutical Trademark Group