James P. Zeller focuses his practice on domestic and foreign patent prosecution, including appeals and inter partes proceedings. His practice encompasses diverse technologies, such as consumer and office products, semiconductor device manufacture, dental/medical devices, telecommunications, automotive technologies, and chemical processing. Mr. Zeller enjoys an international practice, and clients benefit from his business perspective and experience in managing large IP portfolios.
In 2013, Mr. Zeller was selected as a “Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property” by American Lawyer Media (ALM) and Martindale-Hubbell. He is recognized as an “Illinois Leading Lawyer” since 2004 and an “Illinois Super Lawyer” 2006, 2012-2017, and holds an AV® peer-review rating from Martindale-Hubbell. Mr. Zeller was also selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2016–2018 editions of The Best Lawyers in America© in the practice area of Patent Law.
Mr. Zeller served as in IP Practitioner-in-Residence at IU Maurer School of Law during the 2014-2015 academic year.
Background and Credentials
Mr. Zeller's legal career began in 1976 after receiving M.B.A. and J.D. degrees from Indiana University (Bloomington) and a B.S.Ch.E. degree from the University of Notre Dame.
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law (Bloomington) (J.D.)
- Indiana University Kelley School of Business, Bloomington (M.B.A.)
- Business Economics and Quantitative Business Analysis
- University of Notre Dame (B.S.Ch.E.)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office