Clients seeking advice in establishing and maintaining patent portfolios worldwide in all areas of biotechnology and pharmaceuticals can benefit from the education and experience of Jeanne M. Brashear. As a patent agent, she is involved in all areas of patent prosecution including the drafting and prosecution of patent applications worldwide, patent validity and freedom-to-operate issues and counseling clients concerning competitor patent landscapes. Ms. Brashear works closely with clients in order to obtain patent protection commensurate with commercialization goals.
- Successfully drafted and secured patents relating to antibodies and their medical uses for client’s leading biotechnology company.
- Assisted client in developing a patent portfolio directed to angiogenic and lymphangiogenic growth factors, antagonists thereof and medical uses of such therapeutic compounds. The portfolio resulted in the formation of a start-up company focusing on anti-angiogenic technologies. Ms. Brashear continues to assist the start-up company in such matters.
Ms. Brashear has handled matters in a wide variety of biotechnology disciplines, such as:
- Antibody technology
- RNA technology, including microRNAs and other noncoding RNAs
- Diagnostics and pharmaceuticals
- Therapeutics and physiological treatment of disease
- Gene therapy, recombinant DNA and protein technologies
- Angiogenesis and anti-angiogenesis technologies and circulatory disorders
- Lymphangiogenesis and anti-lymphangiogenesis technologies
- Growth factors
- Food and beverage formulations
Background and Credentials
Ms. Brashear uses her experience in all phases of prosecution work to help biotechnology clients strategically develop and maintain patent portfolios to achieve business goals. She has evaluated the patentability of client inventions and prepared and prosecuted patent applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and foreign patent offices for universities, non-profit research institutions, start-ups, and established biotechnology companies. She aids clients in defining commercial opportunities by investigating competitor patent landscapes.
Ms. Brashear received her Bachelor of Science in Medical Microbiology and Immunology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2000.
- University of Wisconsin, Madison (B.S.)
- Medical Microbiology and Immunology
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Opposition and Appeal re: Darwin Discovery Ltd.
European Patent Office
Case Type(s): Opposition, Appeal
Area(s) of practice: Biotechnology