Dr. Kehinde (Ken) Ajayi assists in preparing and prosecuting patents for various types of clients in the chemical sciences industry. His graduate study and multidisciplinary background provide extensive knowledge in a wide range of areas including organic and medicinal chemistry, biochemistry, drug discovery, molecular biology, and pharmaceuticals.
Background and Credentials
Dr. Ajayi draws on his chemical sciences background and his strong technical writing experience to prepare and prosecute patent applications and manage patent portfolios. Prior to joining Marshall, Gerstein & Borun, Dr. Ajayi was a research scientist for a major pharmaceutical company. There, he designed and synthesized small-molecule compounds to facilitate preclinical research into treatments for Huntington’s disease and cystic fibrosis.
Prior to experience at the pharmaceutical company, Dr. Ajayi was a medicinal chemistry postdoctoral fellow at the California Institute for Biomedical Research. He worked closely with potential drugs for type 2 diabetes, tuberculosis, breast and skin cancer, spinal muscular atrophy, and inflammatory bowel disease to optimize their potencies and pharmacokinetic properties. He was also a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Pennsylvania, where he designed and optimized new catalytic reactions for the synthesis of heterocyclic, drug-like molecules.
Dr. Ajayi earned his Ph.D. in organic chemistry from Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey. He received his B.S. in chemistry and his B.A. in philosophy from the University of Connecticut.
- Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey (Ph.D.)
- Organic Chemistry
- University of Connecticut (B.S.)
- University of Connecticut (B.A.)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Publications and Presentations
- Chatterjee, A.K.; Wang, F.; Schultz, P.G.; Xu, C.; Ajayi, K.; Wang, J.; Halder, R.; Kumar, P.; Yang, B.; Liu, R.; Cheng, B.; Kaneko, T. Compounds for Treatment of Drug Resistant and Persistent Tuberculosis. PCT WO/2014/190199, 2014.
- Molander, G.A.; Ajayi, K. Oxidative Condensations to Form Benzimidazole-Substituted Potassium Organotrifluoroborates. Organic Letters 2012, 14, 4242–4245.
- Ajayi, K.; Thakur, V.; Lapo, R.; Knapp, S. Intramolecular α-Glucosaminidation: Synthesis of Mycothiol. Organic Letters 2010, 12, 2630–2633.
- Ajayi, K.; Thakur, V.; Lapo, R.; Knapp, S.; “Intramolecular glucosamine alpha-glycosylation: Mycothiol.” Washington, DC, Abstracts of Papers, 238th American Chemical Society National Meeting, August 2009.
- Ajayi, K.; Thanou, M.; Kydonieus, A.; Knapp, S. “Design and Synthesis of a Controlled Release Drug Conjugate for Multi-day Delivery of Actives.” Copenhagen, Denmark, Abstracts, 26th Controlled Release Society Annual Meeting, July 2009
Click here to see additional Publications and Presentations.
Community and Professional Involvement
- American Chemical Society
- American Intellectual Property Law Association