Clients seeking advice in establishing and maintaining patent portfolios worldwide in all areas of biotechnology and pharmaceuticals can benefit from the education and experience of Lynn L. Janulis, Ph.D. Her advanced graduate and post-doctoral scientific training in molecular and developmental biology, reproductive endocrinology and cancer, along with her legal experience, allow her to counsel clients in strategic management of their scientific intellectual property. She assists clients in obtaining worldwide patent rights with her experience in patent prosecution, opinions, due diligence analyses, and interference proceedings. Dr. Janulis strives to understand and meet the needs of her clients, from non-profit institutions to international companies.
Since 2014, she has been selected for inclusion in the Illinois Rising Stars® list, featuring outstanding young attorneys in the state.
- Assisted in obtaining patent protection for a client’s compound whose sales are expected to exceed a billion dollars annually. Helped develop a patent prosecution strategy that ultimately gave rise to international patent protection, and helped position the client to acquire even broader protection by in-licensing its competitors' related technologies.
- Counseled medical products client through patent application processes and freedom-to-operate issues in their development of a vaccine product to protect against human and animal disease.
- Successfully drafted and secured patents relating to several recombinant growth factor polypeptides, antibodies, and their medical uses for client’s leading biotechnology company.
Dr. Janulis has handled matters in a wide variety of biotechnology areas, such as:
- Diagnostics and pharmaceuticals
- Genomics and proteomics
- Growth factors, developmental biology, and cancer biology
- Immunogenic and vaccine compositions
- Therapeutics and physiological treatment of disease
Background and Credentials
Along with her patent portfolio work for diverse biotechnology and pharmaceutical clients, Dr. Janulis has extensive experience in preparing opinions, conducting due diligence analyses, patent searches and legal research, preparing legal memoranda, and advising clients regarding their IP management. Dr. Janulis has assisted a wide range of clients, including Fortune 500 companies, start-up companies, and university technology transfer offices.
Dr. Janulis concentrates her practice on securing patent rights in the life science technologies. She has extensive knowledge in the fields of biotechnology, including molecular biology, virology, microbiology, immunology, biochemistry, and pharmaceuticals. Among her specific areas of interest are reproductive biology, developmental and animal biology, cancer, vaccines, stem cell technologies, antibodies, pharmaceutical compositions, recombinant organisms and expression systems, recombinant proteins and methods of production and use, transgenic animals, assays and diagnostic methods, and methods of treatment of various diseases and disorders.
Dr. Janulis received her J.D. from The John Marshall Law School. She earned her Ph.D. in Molecular and Reproductive Endocrinology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and was a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Urology at Northwestern University Medical School prior to joining the firm.
During her graduate and postdoctoral training, Dr. Janulis received fellowships from the National Institutes of Health and the American Foundation for Urologic Disease. Her postdoctoral research involved the study of prostate and other urologic cancers as well as the developmental biology of the prostate. Her graduate research involved the discovery of P450 aromatase, the estrogen synthesizing enzyme, in germ cells in the male reproductive system.
- The John Marshall Law School (J.D. Certificate)
- Intellectual Property Law
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (Ph.D.)
- Reproductive Endocrinology
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (M.S.)
- Reproductive Endocrinology
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (B.S.)
- Animal Biology
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Publications and Presentations
Dr. Janulis has published her research in scientific journals, and she has written several book chapters on the subjects relating to her research. She has also presented CLE seminars on developments in case law as it relates to patent prosecution.
Community and Professional Involvement
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
- Cabrini Green Legal Aid, Chicago: pro bono work
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC)
- Membership Committee Chair, Communications Committee Vice Chair, Women In Bio-Chicago Chapter