For businesses in a broad and varied spectrum of commercial endeavors, Maureen Beacom Gorman works directly with clients to prosecute, secure and enforce their copyrights and trademarks. Ms. Gorman’s invaluable familiarity with the inside workings of the United States Patent and Trademark Office as a former trademark examining attorney offers a balanced perspective to her legal counsel, including a comprehensive understanding of the nuances of trademark law to better assist clients in trademark prosecution, enforcement, litigation, and licensing in the United States and internationally.
Ms. Gorman was recognized by the World Trademark Review (WTR) in the WTR 1000 rankings since 2014. She was also the exclusive winner in the 2015 International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Awards "Intellectual Property – Trademarks" category for Illinois. Ms. Gorman was selected by her peers as a 2016 "Leading Lawyer."
- Led team that developed the Firm's copyrighted social media take down database to better enable clients' brand protection online.
- Secured transfer of domain name for software company through successful Uniform Dispute Resolution procedure.
- Successfully secured trademark protection for consumer goods company, overcoming merely descriptive refusal.
- Counseled consumer goods company in prosecution of consumer brand name and enforcement issues in 90 countries worldwide.
Ms. Gorman has handled matters for a wide variety of industries and organizations, such as:
- Consulting Firms
- Clothing retailers and manufacturers
- Consumer goods and health products
- Restaurants and hotels
- Religious organizations
- Educational institutions
- Insurance Companies
Background and Credentials
From 2000 to 2002, Ms. Gorman worked as a trademark examining attorney in the United States Patent and Trademark Office. She focused on food and electronic products and all service classes.
After her departure from the USPTO, Ms. Gorman continued to build her proficiency in the intellectual property field, founding her own trademark/copyright law practice in 2002. The guiding principles of her successful practice incorporated affordability, personal service, and ethical behavior. Her private practice began in insurance and commercial litigation.
Ms. Gorman has been selected as a trademark consultant in numerous Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) actions as well as district court matters in numerous U.S. jurisdictions. Her litigation experience includes handling Opposition and Cancellation matters, ex parte appeals to the TTAB, and infringement and unfair competition actions in Illinois.
Ms. Gorman earned her J.D. from John Marshall Law School in 1997 and received a bachelor of arts degree from Marquette University in 1993.
- The John Marshall Law School (J.D.)
- Marquette University (B.A.)
- District of Puerto Rico
- New Jersey
- Northern District of Illinois
- Southern District of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court of Eastern District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court of Western District of Washington
- Western District of Missouri
Publications and Presentations
- "The budgeting piece of the business of law," InsideCounsel, September 1, 2015 (featured quotes).
- "E-commerce and Social Media: Defensive Strategies and Enforcement Options," ICANN's New Generic Top-Level Domain (gTLD) Program, Live Presentation, September 9, 2011.
- “Not All Endorsements Are Alike,” Medical Device + Diagnostic Industry, August, 24, 2011 (co-author).
- “Consumer Confusion or Profitable Promotion?” Served as panel speaker and discussed current copyright/trademark trends at the Law Bulletin Corporate IP Conference on February 8, 2011.
- “The Future’s So Green, I Gotta Wear Shades: 'Greening' Your Brand Without 'Greenwashing' It.” Presented at the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Mid-Winter meeting’s plenary session on February 3, 2011.
Click here to see additional Publications and Presentations.
Community and Professional Involvement
- Women's Bar Foundation (WBF), Vice President – External Affairs and Vice President – Fundraising
- Member of INTA's U.S. Subcommittee on Anti-Counterfeiting, 2013-2015
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Universal Protein Supplements Corporation vs. Dalech LLC, NAF Claim No. FA0908001278030 (2009) (Pfeuffer, Arb.). Attorney for petitioner in contested Uniform Dispute Resolution Action before the National Arbitration Forum (UDRP). Award: Domain name transferred.
- General Council of the Assemblies of God vs. DomCollect Worldwide Intellectual Property AG, NAF Claim No. FA0904001259727 (2009) (Yachnin, Arb.). Attorney for petitioner in contested Uniform Dispute Resolution Action before the National Arbitration Forum (UDRP). Award: Domain name transferred.
- AFN Broker LLC vs. Champion Performance Products, Inc. Attorney for petitioner in likelihood of confusion dispute. Settled.
- The General Council of the Assemblies of God, DBA Gospel Publishing House vs. GPH Investments Incorporated. Attorney for opposer in likelihood of confusion dispute. Application withdrawn. Case dismissed.
- The General Council of the Assemblies of God, DBA Gospel Publishing House vs. GPH Partners, LLC. Attorney for potential opposer in likelihood of confusion dispute. Settled.
Click here to see additional Representative Matters.