“Strategies for Dealing with NPEs—Fight or Flight”February 26, 2015 – Presentation
Partner Thomas L. Duston participated in the panel, “Strategies for Dealing with NPEs—Fight or Flight,” at the 2015 IP Strategy Summit, held on Thursday, February 26, 2015, at the Four Seasons Hotel, Seattle.
The majority of IP infringement and litigation suits are brought by NPEs. Unfortunately, there is no "one size fits all" strategy for dealing with them, so IP leaders must develop a coherent understanding of when to fight and when to settle. In this presentation, panelists examined:
- How to evaluate an NPE and the specific threat it poses
- What case history trends mean for your response strategy
- Strategies to deter NPEs at the outset
- The IPR as a tool – balancing cost, risk, and effectiveness
- When you should fight and when you should settle
- Risks and benefits of "taking a stand"
- Is sharing caring? (Is intra-company defense viable?)