For clients innovating in electronics as well as digital signaling and digital processing technologies in the computer, control, telecommunications and Internet industries, Roger A. Heppermann successfully prepares and prosecutes patents nationally and internationally. He also files and prosecutes reexaminations, interferences, patent appeals and foreign oppositions to develop and maintain strong U.S. and international patent portfolios for his clients. He readily understands his clients’ complex products and electronic systems, and delivers rapid and sure-handed management of patent portfolios developed over nearly 20 years of exposure to computers, consumer and industrial electronics and wired and wireless communication technologies.
- Filed and prosecuted patents for the HART Communication Foundation on a newly developed wireless communication protocol for use in various stages of process control systems such as those related to drug manufacturing and oil refining plants. The advances offered significant gains for the organization due to the new advantages it brought customers: more efficiency, greater flexibility, data safety, multiple points of connectivity…and, of course, no wires to troubleshoot behind walls.
- In the area of GreenTech, has filed and secured patents related to leading edge, waste water processing technology used in generating energy from landfill gases and industrial waste.
- Working with our litigation team, filed a series of reexamination cases to reduce litigation issues regarding patents related to industrial power meters. Successfully had patents asserted against the company removed from the litigation by having the claims invalidated by the patent office, significantly reducing litigation costs.
- Has developed and continues to maintain a large US and international patent portfolio for one of the leaders in industrial and process plant control systems, including patents in the area of electronic control systems, communications, data management systems, sensors, and valve technologies.
Mr. Heppermann has handled matters in a wide variety of electronics-related technologies, including:
- Computers - hardware and software
- Digital communication and imaging systems
- Design and implementation of consumer and computer electronics
- Power meters and mass spectrometers
- Power and process control systems
- Laser, printing, and radar systems
BACKGROUND AND CREDENTIALS
Roger A. Heppermann’s educational background, as well as legal experience is in electronics and digital processing techniques. His exemplary technical mastery in this area lets him understand and make use of the unique characteristics of newly emerging technologies to build effective patent strategies.
He graduated from Northwestern University School of Law in 1992 where he received his J.D., cum laude. While at Northwestern, he received the Excellence in Intellectual Property Law Award. Mr. Heppermann performed his undergraduate work at the University of Missouri-Rolla (now Missouri University of Science and Technology) where he received his B.S. in Electrical Engineering, summa cum laude, in 1986.
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Missouri, Rolla, B.S., summa cum laude, Electrical Engineering
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office