Shawn M. Buchanan is a registered patent attorney who helps clients in all stages of patent prosecution. His engineering background provides him with an understanding of clients’ technologies and enables him to provide a range of patent procurement services. Mr. Buchanan’s experience allows him to develop strategies for acquiring and protecting intellectual property and to draft legal opinions.
Representative Experience and Recognition
- Performed patent prosecution and preparation for a Fortune 500 semiconductor company.
- Consulted a large data compression and storage company regarding patent prosecution and portfolio management during ongoing patent litigation.
- Helped secure a near-complete victory for A-1 Packaging Solutions, Inc., in two inter partes review proceedings challenging the validity of an A-1 patent. RF Controls, LLC. v. A-1 Pkg. Sol., Inc., IPR2014-01536 and IPR2015-00119 (Patent Trial and Appeal Board).
- Illinois Rising Star, 2017.
Background and Credentials
Mr. Buchanan has over ten years’ experience as an electrical engineer, largely focusing on RF circuit and passive component design. Mr. Buchanan has also helped to develop inductive heating systems, RFID systems, and industrial laser printers.
Mr. Buchanan leverages his diverse range of technological experience to quickly learn new technologies, and to prepare and prosecute patent applications in a wide variety of areas. Some noteworthy areas of technology include near field communications (NFC), MIMO antenna systems, ultrasonic imaging, air-to-ground (ATG) communication systems, femtocells, cloud computing, network security, memory cells, logic gates, Ethernet Passive Optical Networks (EPONs), signal processing, and satellite navigation systems.
Prior to joining Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP, Mr. Buchanan worked as a patent examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Mr. Buchanan received his J.D. from DePaul University College of Law. Additionally, he holds a B.S. degree in electrical engineering from the University of Illinois at Chicago.
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D.)
- University of Illinois at Chicago (B.S.)
- Electrical Engineering
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office