Shawn M. Buchanan is a registered patent attorney who helps clients in all stages of patent prosecution. His engineering background provides him with an understanding of clients’ technologies and enables him to effectively and efficiently provide a range of patent procurement services. Mr. Buchanan also leverages his experience to develop strategies for acquiring and protecting intellectual property.
- Performed patent prosecution and preparation for a Fortune 500 semiconductor company.
- Consulted a large data compression and storage company regarding patent prosecution and portfolio management during ongoing patent litigation.
Background and Credentials
Mr. Buchanan is experienced in preparing and prosecuting patent applications in a variety of technological areas such as network security, near field communications (NFC), RF circuits, femtocells, memory cells, logic gates, Ethernet Passive Optical Networks (EPONs), signal processing, satellite navigation systems, and MIMO antenna systems. Prior to joining Marshall, Gerstein & Borun, he worked as an intellectual property attorney for clients in a variety of industries, including wireless communications, ultrasonic imaging, and data compression. He also served as a patent examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office following 10 years of experience as an engineer.
Mr. Buchanan received his J.D. from DePaul University College of Law. Additionally, he holds a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from the University of Illinois at Chicago.
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D.)
- University of Illinois at Chicago (B.S.)
- Electrical Engineering
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office