For large companies in such industries as process control, wireless communications, network switching, and e-Commerce; as well as for small companies with electrical, mechanical, and software products, associate Slava Elkin assists in securing patent rights in the United States and abroad. As a former Senior Staff Software Engineer at Motorola, he brings extensive experience developing cellular infrastructure elements and portable devices on a variety of platforms. Clients find him adept at understanding both technical and business issues.
Mr. Elkin has capably handled patent prosecutions in diverse electrical and mechanical technologies, such as:
- Network protocols and algorithms
- Process control systems and process control equipment
- Computer hardware and software
- Analog and digital circuits
- Geographic services and positioning techniques
- E-commerce system architectures and business processes
- Market modeling
Mr. Elkin also has successfully:
- Assisted in the preparation of patent applications related to wireless communication networks, switching devices, process control automation, electric circuit design, infrared technologies, ultrasonic devices, e-Commerce, and business methods.
- Assisted in the preparation of freedom-to-operate and non-infringement opinions for electrical products.
- Provided prior art analysis in litigation related to internet technologies.
Background and Credentials
Before joining Marshall, Gerstein & Borun, Mr. Elkin served as a Senior Staff Engineer at Motorola, Inc. in the Mobile Devices Sector where he designed and developed software to support cellular technologies and specialized features such as web browsing applications and certificate-based cryptography. Prior to joining the firm, he worked in Motorola’s Networks Sector where he designed and developed software for wireless communication systems including a method of quick switching service restoration as well as several real-time multithreaded applications on various platforms.
Mr. Elkin received his J.D. in 2011 from Chicago-Kent College of Law. He also holds a M.A. in English from Northeastern Illinois University and a B.S. in Computer Engineering from the University of Illinois.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology (J.D.)
- Northeastern Illinois University (M.A.)
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (B.S.)
- Computer Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office