Ms. Johnson is a former U.S. Patent & Trademark Office trademark examining attorney, and brings invaluable insider knowledge to the Firm’s trademark matters. Clients and colleagues benefit from her efficient and knowledgeable handling of trademark applications, and her in-depth understanding of the process of evaluating marks for conflicts is an important asset when it comes to advising clients about the availability and enforcement of trademark rights. She is adept at both legal and business communications, with valuable in-house insight through a recent secondment. Ms. Johnson enforces client’s rights and defends those accused of infringement. She has experience negotiating settlements, preparing agreements related to intellectual property, and counseling clients on issues related to marketing and advertising, domain names, copyright, and licensing.
- Wrote trial brief defending client’s trademark application from opposition, resulting in a favorable decision by the TTAB and registration of the trademark
- Secured default judgment and order to freeze defendant’s account to recover damages for trademark infringement
- Assisted with negotiations resulting in favorable settlement related to misappropriation of client’s trade secrets and confidential information
- Frequently overcome refusals issued by the USPTO, securing trademark registrations
Background and Credentials
During her time as a trademark examining attorney at the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, Ms. Johnson examined thousands of trademark applications for substantive and procedural bars to federal registration. This experience informs her approach to clearing marks, prosecuting applications, and counseling clients on prosecution and enforcement strategy. Her work enforcing clients’ rights against infringers is grounded in her complete understanding of how potential conflicts are objectively analyzed. She handles “cease and desist” matters, litigation, takedown proceedings involving infringing materials online, and representing clients in matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and federal court. She also advises on issues related to copyright registration and enforcement, and has experience preparing and negotiating settlement agreements related to trademark infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets.
Ms. Johnson completed a Fulbright scholarship from 2009–2010, teaching English in Alicante, Spain. She received her J.D. from Indiana University Maurer School of Law, where she served on the editorial board for the Indiana Law Journal and founded the School of Law’s Society for Law and the Arts. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in creative writing and Spanish, summa cum laude, from Hope College. While at Hope College, Ms. Johnson was a member of Sigma Delta Pi National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society, Phi Beta Kappa, and the Mortar Board National Honor Society.
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law (Bloomington) (J.D.)
- Hope College (B.A., summa cum laude)
- Creative Writing and Spanish
Community and Professional Involvement
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC)
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois (WBAI)