David N. Patariu litigates across the country for technology companies. His practice includes cybersecurity, data privacy, technology litigation, and transactional matters.
Mr. Patariu has experience counseling clients in a variety of areas including:
- Technology litigation
- Privacy / data protection (e.g., Safety Act, GDPR, GLBA, HITECH, HIPAA)
- Technology transactions
- Regulatory and licensing issues
- E-Commerce, including financial technology (e.g., blockchain innovations)
- Biomedical technologies
- Cloud technologies (aka distributed computing)
- Data warehouse technologies
- Artificial intelligence
- Internet search technologies
- LED-based technologies
- International trade
Background and Credentials
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Patariu practiced in the areas of data privacy, cybersecurity, patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret litigation. Mr. Patariu has deep, real-world knowledge in information security, e-commerce, cryptographic, and biomedical technologies because of his extensive work experience in these areas prior to and after attending law school. Mr. Patariu has also earned the following professional credentials and awards:
- Fellow of Information Privacy (FIP) - International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) (License # 11062162);
- IAPP Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) (License # 10859525);
- IAPP Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) (License # 10877586);
- IAPP Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM) (License # 10869827); and
- (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) (License # 618932)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D.)
- Stanford University, School of Medicine (M.S.)
- Biomedical Informatics
- Stanford University, Freeman Spogli Institute (Graduate Certificate)
- International Security
- Stanford University, School of Engineering (Graduate Certificate)
- Cornell University Graduate School (M. Eng.)
- Computer Science
- Cornell University, College of Arts and Sciences (B.A.)
- Biology (Biochemistry concentration)
- New York
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, Central, and Eastern Districts of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
Publications and Presentations
- "'The Forgotten Pleading' Serves as Guide to Determining Best Defense," Co-author, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, July 25, 2018.
- "Shadur’s Crusade Against Misdirected Affirmative Defenses Still Has Merit," Co-author, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, April 26, 2018.
- "More Than a Judge, Shadur Became a Teacher on Civil Procedure," Co-author, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, March 21, 2018.
- "Taking It Personally: One Lawsuit Tries to Hold Individuals Accountable for the Equifax Data Breach," Internet & Social Media Law Blog, September 22, 2017.
- "When Ripples Become Waves: The Equifax Cybersecurity Incident," Internet & Social Media Law Blog, September 21, 2017.
Click here to see additional Publications and Presentations.
Community and Professional Involvement
- Fellow of Information Privacy (FIP) and member - International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Privacy Bar Section - International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- (ISC)2: The World’s Leading Cybersecurity and IT Security Professional Organization, member
- (ISC)² Chicago Chapter, member
- (ISC)² National Capital Region (NCR) Chapter (Washington, D.C.), member
- GDPR General Data Protection Regulation Technology LinkedIn Group
- EU General Data Protection Regulation LinkedIn Group
- Cornell University Alumni Network
- Stanford University Alumni Network
- Stanford Medicine Alumni Association
- Loyola University Alumni Network
- Stanford School of Engineering Alumni Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
Honors and Awards
Fellow of Information Privacy (FIP) - International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP):
Recognized as a Fellow of Information Privacy (FIP) by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), for having extensive work experience in the data privacy field over several years, significant scholarship, and comprehensive knowledge of privacy laws, privacy program management and essential data protection practices. Only individuals with considerable accomplishments in advancing the privacy profession are accepted as FIPs. Globally less than 500 privacy professionals are certified FIPs.
Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service from the Judges of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and The Chicago Chapter of the Federal Bar Association:
For work on trial bar cases, May 2013.
High Honor Roll Member, 2012 Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll:
Recognition by the District of Columbia Courts for contributing more than fifty hours of pro bono legal work to those who cannot afford legal counsel.