Julianne M. Hartzell and Thomas J. Ring to Speak at PLI’s 2019 Patent Fundamentals Program
Julianne M. Hartzell, partner and Chair of Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP’s Medical Devices Practice Group and Special Counsel Thomas J. Ring will serve as co-presenters during Practising Law Institute (PLI)’s Patent Fundamentals Bootcamp 2019: An Introduction to Patent Drafting, Prosecution, and Litigation program. The bootcamp takes place from Tuesday, May 7 – Thursday, May 9 in Chicago, IL.
Wednesday, May 8, 2019
“Clinic II: Patent Amendment Writing”
1:45pm – 3:45pm CT
On Wednesday, May 8, 2019, Mr. Ring will participate in a clinic relating to amendment drafting before the USPTO. Participants receive feedback from Mr. Ring and other attorneys in a small group and on a one-on-one basis. He will serve as a co-presented along with the following attorneys:
Mr. Ring will serve as co-presenter with the following attorneys:
- Patrick G. Burns, Founding Shareholder, Greer, Burns & Crain, Ltd.
- Christopher T. Griffith, Founding Partner, Green, Griffith & Borg-Breen LLP
- David Lesht, Attorney, The Law Offices of Eugene M. Cummings, P.C.
- John S. Mortimer, Attorney, Wood Phillips
- Mary C. Till, Senior Legal Advisor, Office of Patent Legal Administration, USPTO
- Michael J. Turgeon, Shareholder, Vedder Price P.C.
- Tearra J. Vaughn, Associate, Nicholson De Vos Webster & Elliott LLP
Thursday, May 9, 2019
“Patent Litigation Issues”
9:00am – 11:15am CT
Ms. Hartzell will participate on a panel on Thursday, May 9, 2019, relating to litigation issues relevant to patent prosecution. This panel will discuss concepts of claim construction, “divided infringement” issues, estoppel, disclaimer, secondary considerations of non-obviousness, means-plus-function claim language, the doctrine of equivalents, indefiniteness, Section 101 and patentable subject matter in the wake of the Supreme Court’s Alice decision, inequitable conduct, and non-infringement and invalidity analyses and opinions. She will serve as co-presenter with the following attorneys:
- Tiffany P. Cunningham, Partner, Perkins Coie
- Matthew J. Hertko, Partner, Jones Day
- Sharon A. Hwang, Shareholder, McAndrews, Held & Malloy, Ltd.
See PLI’s Patent Fundamentals Bootcamp 2019: An Introduction to Patent Drafting, Prosecution and Litigation program homepage for further details.