Harrison B. Rose focuses his practice on aiding clients in developing, procuring, managing, and protecting their patent portfolios. Mr. Rose’s technical background and engineering work experience enable him to effectively understand clients’ technologies in furtherance of providing domestic and international patent prosecution, patent landscape analysis, portfolio assessment, infringement and invalidity analysis, intellectual property litigation, and USPTO post-grant proceeding services.
Mr. Rose has experience counseling clients in a variety of fields including:
- Biomedical devices
- Computer hardware and software
- Business methods
- Wireless communication systems
- Process Control Systems
- Signal Processing
- Renewable energy
- Automotive systems and parts
- Consumer goods
Background and Credentials
Mr. Rose graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Illinois College of Law, where he earned multiple Dean’s List and Harno Scholar honors. During law school, Mr. Rose served as the Managing Editor of the University of Illinois Journal of Law, Technology & Policy; worked as a research assistant to one of the nation’s preeminent Intellectual Property legal scholars; served as President of the Intellectual Property Legal Society; and participated multiple semesters in the IP Law Clinic by providing patent and trademark services to start-up companies. Additionally, Mr. Rose was the recipient of the Joseph M. Barich Excellence in Patent Law Award and the CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Negotiation Skills and Strategy.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Rose worked for several years as an electrical engineer for an international consulting-engineering firm.
Mr. Rose received his Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Mr. Rose’s undergraduate senior design project was inducted into the ECE Senior Design Hall of Fame.
- University of Illinois College of Law, Urbana-Champaign (J.D., magna cum laude)
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (B.S.)
- Electrical Engineering
Publications and Presentations
- “Exploring Alice’s Wonderland of Patentable Subject Matter,” University of Illinois Journal of Law, Technology & Policy, Spring 2017.
- “Serial Petitioning at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board,” Empirical Study and Research Paper, University of Illinois College of Law, Spring 2017.
- “Through the Looking Glass: The Effect of Alice on CBM Review,” Empirical Study and Research Paper, University of Illinois College of Law, Fall 2016.
- “A Comprehensive Guide to Non-Practicing Entities,” Research Paper, University of Illinois College of Law, Spring 2016.
- “International Patent Novelty,” Presentation, University of Illinois College of Law, Spring 2016.
Community and Professional Involvement
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC)
- The Decalogue Society of Lawyers