Joseph has more than 15 years of experience drafting, prosecuting, and filing patent applications within the industries of electrical and computer technologies, healthcare, and telecommunications. He manages diverse patent portfolios and has an in-depth understanding of a broad swath of technologies.
Outside of counseling clients, Joseph is an avid biker, enjoys skiing, kayaking, and visiting Chicagoland parks and nature preserves with his dog.
Joseph handles patent prosecution matters involving technologies such as:
- Computer hardware
- Computer science
- Electrical engineering
- Electro-mechanical engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Physical science
- Radar systems
Background and Credentials
Joseph is highly skilled in the area of patent searching specifically related to patentability, invalidity and freedom-to-operate issues. Prior to joining Marshall Gerstein, Joseph served as in-house counsel within the healthcare sector. He also provided legal counsel in the areas of litigation, prosecution, and licensing with Chicago-based law firms. As a solo practitioner, he guided startups in the areas of trademark prosecution, patent prosecution and copyrights.
Prior to his legal career, Joseph was an electrical engineer at Raytheon Company.
Joseph received his JD from Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology. He received his B.S. in computer systems engineering from Syracuse University.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology (J.D.)
- Syracuse University (B.S.)
- Computer Systems Engineering
- Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Publications and Presentations
- "Petitioner’s Analogous Art Argument was not so Obvious when Reversing the PTAB," PTABWatch blog, June 30, 2023.
Community and Professional Involvement
- Volunteer Clean-Up Member for Ronan Park Preservation
- Annual participant in the Chicago AIDS Run/Walk