Kyle specializes in counseling clients on domestic and international patent preparation and prosecution, as well as on patent evaluation, portfolio management, landscape or competitor analysis, freedom-to-operate (FTO) or clearance opinions, and invalidity opinions. Clients rely on him to protect innovations in various fields of technology, including software, electronics, telecommunications, e-commerce, and control systems.
Since 2021, Kyle has been selected for inclusion in the Illinois Rising Stars® lists, featuring outstanding young attorneys in the state.
- Developed an IP strategy for a startup seeking to build an IP portfolio to facilitate an acquisition or public offering by another company, resulting in an acquisition of over $500 million.
- Counseled another startup interested in licensing technology to competitors; developed an IP strategy to rapidly harvest patentable concepts from the company and build out their patent portfolio.
- Has counseled a number of Fortune 500 companies regarding competitors’ patent holdings by performing extensive landscape analyses.
- Has counseled various clients on global IP strategy and managed their domestic and international patent application filings and prosecution strategy.
Kyle has counseled clients and helped them obtain patent rights, domestic and foreign, on technologies in a variety of areas, including:
- Computer hardware, software, and networking
- Artificial intelligence
- Autonomous vehicle sensors and control systems
- Aviation control systems, flight instrumentation, and networking systems (e.g., for providing Internet access on an airplane)
- Blockchain and distributed ledger systems
- Cloud-based systems and networking
- Digital communication systems
- Digital mapping technologies
- Digital media delivery services
- Digital rights management (DRM) technology
- Drone and drone control technologies
- Dynamic and intelligent industrial lighting systems
- Fitness trackers and other biofeedback devices
- Graphic User Interfaces (GUIs)
- Heads-up displays
- Imaging systems, including 3D, point cloud, and sensor based systems and applications
- Internet of Things (IoT), devices, and applications
- Insurance industry innovations
- Intrinsically Safe (IS) electronic devices for hazardous environments
- Machine learning systems
- Mobile applications and operating systems
- Process control systems and industrial automation
- Radio Frequency (RF) circuits and systems
- Security, cryptography, encryption, and biometric authentication
Background and Credentials
Kyle understands clients. Prior to becoming an attorney, Kyle worked for Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) where he gained experience as a process controls engineer. While at ADM, Kyle gained experience on a team tasked with setting up a control system for a bio-plastics plant. His experience also includes working as a commercialization analyst for the University of Illinois’ Office of Technology Management (OTM), where he identified, marketed, and licensed intellectual property developed by research on campus. Example technologies he worked with at the OTM included software technologies, flexible electronics technologies, autonomous vehicle technologies, and various innovative technologies in materials science.
- University of Illinois College of Law, Urbana-Champaign (J.D.)
- University of Missouri (B.S.)
- Computer Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office