Ony Beverly has extensive Human Resources experience working specifically in the legal industry for over 15 years. As Chief Human Resources Officer, Ony serves as a strategic partner for the Executive Director, Executive Committee, and Compensation Committee. She leads the development and execution of HR strategy for attorney and staff talent management, professional development, change management, and organizational development to meet the firm’s human capital needs and long-term business objectives. Ony is a member of the Administrative Leadership Team and also serves on the following firm committees: Benefits, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Professional Development, Pro Bono, and Recruiting.
Ony has been pivotal in the implementation of the following programs at Marshall Gerstein:
- Launched blind resume review and behavioral-based panel interviews for staff recruitment, resulting in a 27% increase in diverse hires.
- Piloted a remote work model in 2018, which allows Marshall Gerstein attorneys and staff to seamlessly and securely work from any location.
- Established written performance review summaries to provide associates with qualitative and quantitative metrics.
- Revamped the associate mentor program to include peer advisors, biennial assignment rotations and confidential surveys on program satisfaction.
- Enhanced the gender-neutral parental leave policy firmwide to extend the amount of leave offered to primary caregivers and to provide leave for adoption and foster care.
- Introduced the Bright Horizons program, which allows employees to access qualified backup care for children, adults, or elders.
- Partnered with Mindful Return, an online program and forum that offers new parents support and resources during the transition period of welcoming a new child into their lives and their eventual return to work.
Since implementing these programs, the firm has been recognized by Working Mother Magazine as a Best Law Firm for Women and has been ranked by numerous other publications as a Best Place to Work. Ony was awarded the 2021 Notable Leaders in HR award by Crain’s Chicago Business, which profiled top Chicago Human Resources executives.
Ony’s areas of experience include:
- Talent Management
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Performance Management
- Employee Relations/Coaching
- Professional Development for Staff and Attorneys
- Benefit & Compensation Administration
- Operations and Facility Management
- Payroll/Budget Management
- Keller Graduate School of Management (MBA)
- Keller Graduate School of Management (MHRM)
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (B.A.)
- Political Science
Community and Professional Involvement
- Association of Legal Administrators (ALA), Chicago Chapter Member and Past Board Member
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
Publications and Presentations
- "Drafting Winning Teams: Analyzing Marketing & Business Development EQ," Co-Presenter, Marketing Partner Forum, January 23, 2020.
- "Making the Business Case: Workplace Policies that Work for Everyone," Co-Presenter, The Chicago Bar Association Working Mother's Legal Summit, March 8, 2019.
- "Compensating, Evaluating and Retaining Your Firm's Most Valuable Assets – Your People," Co-Presenter, The Chicago Bar Association Think Tank for Pro Bono and Solo Practitioners, November 9, 2017.