Spencer assists in drafting and prosecuting patent applications within Marshall Gerstein's Electrical & Computer Technologies Group and is experienced in the areas of subject matter eligibility, prior art, and enforceability.
Spencer's hobbies include writing, composing music, volleyball, and rock climbing.
Spencer is experienced in the areas of:
- Computational biology
- Artificial intelligence
- Computer science
- Diagnostic medicine
- Electrical engineering
- Personalized medicine
Background and Credentials
Prior to his legal career at Marshall Gerstein, Spencer was an Associate Researcher at the Joint Genome Institute and the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. He led experimental projects relating to improving genome annotation methods and created automated systems of gene dataset refinement to guide more accurate gene prediction of fungal mitochondrial DNA. Currently, he is also a volunteer at the Rare Genome Institute performing computational variant analysis.
- Northwestern University School of Law (M.S., with high honors)
- Law – Intellectual Property
- University of California, Berkeley (B.A.)
- Molecular Biology – Genetics
Community and Professional Involvement
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC)
Publications and Presentations
- "New Options in Pre-Law Advising: Legal Master’s Programs," Co-Panelist, 2023 Midwest Association of Pre-Law Advisors (MAPLA) Conference, September 23, 2023.
- "Careers in IP for STEM Professionals," Co-Panelist, Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago Program, January 27, 2023.