Andrew Bateman prosecutes and protects the patent portfolios of clients ranging from Fortune 100 companies to start-ups, and advises clients on numerous other patent-related matters. Mr. Bateman’s practice of preparing and prosecuting patent applications is seasoned by his patent litigation experience and supported by a full decade of research and development work as an electrical engineer. This knowledge base and skill set allows Mr. Bateman to efficiently protect clients' intellectual property rights in even the most complex technologies.
- Prepared and prosecuted patent applications directed to systems and methods for wireless communications, high-speed networks, cloud computing, mapping/navigation tools, medical diagnostic and risk-prediction tools, financial and insurance industry innovations, and numerous other fields
- Advised diverse set of clients with respect to patent infringement and/or validity, including numerous freedom-to-operate product clearances for a large client supplying medical device products
- Developed claim construction, non-infringement and invalidity positions for large and complex patent litigation involving medical devices and systems
Mr. Bateman has capably represented clients in many different areas, including:
- Wireless communication technologies
- High-speed networks
- Medical devices
- Health risk prediction
- Insurance industry innovations
- Financial industry innovations
- Casino and Internet gaming systems
Background and Credentials
Andrew Bateman has successfully prosecuted patents for clients in widely diverse industries, such as software, communication, medical device, insurance, and financial industries. Mr. Bateman has also provided clients with numerous freedom-to-operate and invalidity opinions, and assessed the strength of many patents and pending patent applications.
Mr. Bateman earned his J.D. with high honors at Chicago-Kent College of Law. During law school he served as an executive articles editor of the Chicago-Kent Law Review, and served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Amy J. St. Eve in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. He earned a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, with honors, at the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, and a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering at National Technological University.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Bateman worked for 10 years at Motorola as an electrical engineer, where he researched, designed and tested radio frequency hardware systems for a wide variety of wireless communication platforms.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology (J.D.)
- National Technological University (M.S.)
- Electrical Engineering
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (B.S.)
- Electrical Engineering
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office