For clients developing chemical arts in a wide range of applications, including polymers, personal care, medical, and pharmaceutical products, James J. Napoli, Ph.D. builds the value of their patents and secures their rights. Clients gain from his keen analytic ability and deep understanding of their technologies, founded on his graduate work in organic chemistry and extensive industry experience in advanced research, chemical industry regulation and commercial applications. His broad and diverse background adds a pragmatic insight to nearly two decades of legal work recognized for its quality by his Martindale-Hubbell® AV Peer Review Rating™.
He has been selected by the Chicago Law Bulletin’s Leading Lawyer Network as a “Leading Lawyer.” In 2013, he was selected as a “Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property” by American Lawyer Media (ALM) and Martindale-Hubbell, and has been recognized as an “IP Star” in Managing IP’s IP Stars Survey (fka the World IP Handbook and Survey) from 2013–2016.
Clients have benefited from Dr. Napoli’s representation in the following areas:
- Delivery systems for targeted delivery of drugs.
- Nanoparticles, methods of preparing the nanoparticles, and practical uses.
- Polymer design, preparation, and practical uses.
- New compounds for pharmaceutical and personal care products.
Dr. Napoli has successfully promoted clients’ rights in diverse chemical applications such as:
- Polymer catalysts
- Fuel additives
- Food additives and casings
- Diagnostic tests and kits
- Pharmaceuticals and targeted delivery of pharmaceuticals
- Radiochemical and contrast agents
- Personal care and medical products
- New medical functions using known compounds
Background and Credentials
Dr. Napoli has prepared and prosecuted myriads of chemically related patents on behalf of his clients. He has also counseled them extensively in intellectual property matters, analyzing intellectual property for validity, enforceability, and infringement, and providing knowledgeable support in litigation matters.
Over the years, Dr. Napoli has built a mastery of chemical technologies, along with a commercial sense particularly useful to his clients. Prior to his admission to the bar, he worked for the chemical industry as a research chemist and in technical services. He also was involved in federal and state regulatory affairs relating to the chemical industry, especially in the areas of pesticide use and registration, hazardous waste generation and disposal, toxic substances control and employee exposure levels to chemical substances. He has further industrial experience in the coatings industry and in the pesticide industry. His previous research interests centered on the synthesis of organic compounds and organic reaction mechanisms.
He received his J.D., with honors, from DePaul University College of Law in 1991, his B.S., cum laude, in chemistry from The Ohio State University in 1968, his M.S. in organic chemistry from Northwestern University in 1970, and his Ph.D. in physical organic chemistry from Northwestern University in 1972.
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D., with honors)
- Northwestern University (Ph.D.)
- Physical Organic Chemistry
- Northwestern University (M.S.)
- Organic Chemistry
- The Ohio State University (B.S., cum laude)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office