For clients in the computer, communications, control, industrial, service and consumer product industries, Lilian Y. Ficht advances and protects the value of their technologies. She expertly secures domestic and foreign intellectual property rights, constructively assesses and manages patent portfolios, investigates patentability and freedom-to-operate issues, and counsels representative clients.
Her clients find she brings a rapid, savvy understanding of their technologies in commercial applications—skills developed and honed while in-house at AT&T Bell Laboratories and from advanced training in electrical engineering. With her comprehensive experience, Ms. Ficht has proven effective in helping clients create valuable intellectual property assets that continue to advance and protect their businesses.
Ms. Ficht has handled patent prosecution matters and supported clients in a wide variety of electronics-related technologies, including:
- Data communication networks, architecture, security, performance, protocols, and algorithms
- Telecommunication networks and switching architecture
- Big data applications and analytics
- Cloud-based systems
- Computer software and architecture
- Internet applications and data management
- Social networking
- User experience technology
- Power and process control systems and equipment
- E-commerce system architectures and business processes
- Healthcare information management software
- Dental instruments
Ms. Ficht’s expertise in intellectual property work within these fields include some of the following:
- Prepared and successfully prosecuted domestic and international patent applications.
- Assessed the next-generation architectural platforms of several clients—including two Fortune 500 companies—to determine the distinguishing advantages in competitive market spaces, and then capturing said advantages by leveraging and developing patent portfolios.
- During various product developments, prosecution and litigation, counseled clients with regard to patentability and freedom-to-operate issues pertaining to clients’ new innovations as well as in view of competitors’ products and announcements.
Background and Credentials
While at AT&T Bell Laboratories, prior to joining the Firm, Ms. Ficht gained valuable experience as a software engineer, architect and developer for multi-processor cellular and land-based telephone switching products. She later served as a technical supervisor, responsible for managing software development and test groups in the creation of features for multi-processor cellular technologies.
Ms. Ficht earned her M.S. degree in electrical engineering with a concentration in systems from the University of Michigan. She graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with a B.S. in electrical engineering, with honors, with a concentration in bioengineering.
Publications and Presentations
- Co-Author, “How do we encourage more women to stay and progress in the profession?” ManagingIP.com, March 2015.
- University of Michigan (M.S.)
- Electrical Engineering
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (B.S., with honors)
- Electrical Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Community and Professional Involvement
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)