Meggan F. Duffy secures valuable domestic and foreign patent rights for a variety of clients in the mechanical, electromechanical, consumer products, medical devices, e-commerce, and insurance services sectors. She also provides opinions and counseling for many clients in these industries, helping them succeed by advancing and protecting their technologies through skillful patent preparation and prosecution.
Clients benefit from Ms. Duffy’s successful development and implementation of domestic and foreign patent strategies in many diverse technologies, including:
- Mechanical: Banner Mounting Assemblies; Mining Systems and Products; Vacuums and Air Movers and related devices; Gear Systems; Process Control Valves and Systems, Regulators, Actuators, Proximity Switches and related equipment; Systems and Methods for Lining Pipelines; Conveyor Systems and Processes for Paper Packaging; Beverage Production Equipment; Bottling Technology
- Consumer Products: Ink Systems for Retractable Marker Products; Retractable Valves and Eraser Assemblies for Writing Instruments; Side Knock Mechanisms for Mechanical Pencils; Lead Storage, Advancement and Delivery Systems for Writing Implements; Shelving and Storage Systems; Cookware; Furniture
- Electromechanical: GPS Products and Systems; Lighting Assemblies and Methods; Portable Batteries; Remotely Controlled Tethering Systems
- Medical Devices: Thoracic Occlusion Systems; Applicators and Devices for Applying Sealant to Tissues During Surgical Procedures; Catheters; Breast Pumps and Related Products; Microfluidic Devices and Methods for Modulating Cell Environments; Braces and Orthopedic Devices, Intravenous Drug Delivery Systems, Dental Instruments, Biopsy Devices, Auto Injectors, Wearable Drug Delivery Devices, and Syringe Assemblies
Background and Credentials
Ms. Duffy has successfully handled U.S. and foreign patent preparation and prosecution for clients in numerous technical areas and helped advance their business opportunities through opinions and counseling.
During her tenure at the Firm, Ms. Duffy served as the Director of Professional Development. Under her direction, the Firm developed a fully functioning mentoring program, a full spectrum of orientation and training modules for new associates, agents, and technical specialists, and a formal training program, consisting of more detailed seminars directed to younger associates.
From 2000–2005, Ms. Duffy was an Instructor of Law at DePaul University College of Law, teaching Patent Law, first-year Legal Analysis, Research & Communication, and Intellectual Property Legal Analysis, Research & Communication. While teaching, she was also actively involved in the law school’s Center for Intellectual Property Law and Information Technology (CIPLIT), serving as Co-Director of its L.L.M. Program in Intellectual Property Law and a member of the CIPLIT Advisory Board. Ms. Duffy also continued to practice with the Firm on a project basis during that time.
Ms. Duffy joined the Firm after earning her J.D. degree from Loyola University Chicago School of Law. While in law school, Ms. Duffy served as a Legal Writing Teaching Assistant and a judicial extern for the Honorable Judge James B. Zagel, a U.S. District Judge for the Northern District of Illinois. She obtained her B.S. in General Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. During that time, Ms. Duffy served as a Teaching Assistant for ENGR 100 and GE199, president of Gamma Epsilon Honors Society, and a student intern at the Shibaura Institute of Technology in Tokyo, Japan. She also received numerous awards for her academic and leadership accomplishments at the University of Illinois, including the Honorary Knight of St. Patrick Award, the Jerry S. Dobrovolny Leadership Award, and a Senior 100 Honorary Society honoree.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D.)
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (B.S.)
- General Engineering
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Publications and Presentations
- “Making 3D Printing Eco-Friendly: A Potential Opportunity for Patent Protection,” Illinois Manufacturers’ Association Journal, Co-Author, October 2017.
- “Illinois Manufacturers’ Association Breakfast Briefings 2016,” Co-Presenter, February 17, 2016.
- “Protecting your Intellectual Property Globally,” hosted collaboratively among the International Trade Association of Greater Chicago (ITA), the Alliance for Illinois Manufacturing/NORBIC, and the Chicago Intellectual Property Alliance (CIPA), Live Presentation, November 2, 2011.
- “Challenges of IP and Branding on Regulatory Approvals,” Nutraceutical and Functional Food Regulations in the United States and Around the World, Co-Author, June 2008.
Community and Professional Involvement
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC), member
- Previous Member, U.S. Patents Committee, Women in IP and Inventor of the Year Committees
- Board Member and Secretary, Chicago Intellectual Property Alliance (CIPA)
- Chair, Mentorship Program Committee
- Co-Founder, CIPA Mentorship Program
- Mentor 2008-present
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), member
- Chicago Women in Intellectual Property (ChiWIP), member