Joseph M. Kinsella, Jr. prosecutes international and domestic patents for clients in the electrical, software, mechanical, and electro-mechanical engineering fields. He demonstrates for clients a thorough understanding of the science and technology of electrical devices and melds it with his familiarity of the legal patent prosecution process.
Mr. Kinsella has handled matters in a wide variety of electronic products, systems and processes, such as having prosecuted patent applications for an academic institution’s medical system that determines a patient’s susceptibility to cardiorespiratory instability, and conducting patent validity and non-infringement analyses involving various electrical and mechanical devices.
Mr. Kinsella has been involved in numerous matters involving the following:
- Process control systems
- Intraoperative targeting systems for treating neurological diseases and disorders
- Mapping systems for stationary and mobile computing devices
- Electronic tracking and inventory systems
- Energy and infrastructure
- Hardware circuit design
- High-performance battery technology
- High-performance doors for industrial, pharmaceutical and cold-storage environments
- Synthetic surfaces for sport and landscape
- Vending security and audit management
Background and Credentials
Mr. Kinsella’s experience as an attorney allows him to streamline all components of the patent prosecution process for clients, including global patent applications, design patent applications, and adeptly preparing and responding in reexamination proceedings.
For large and small companies alike, Mr. Kinsella’s experience also includes patent validity and non-infringement analyses, licensing agreements, trademark prosecution, and pre-litigation management of patent disputes.
Joseph M. Kinsella Jr. received his J.D. from Chicago-Kent College of Law. He completed his M.S. in electrical engineering from Clemson University and earned his B.S. electrical engineering from Illinois Institute of Technology.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Kinsella served as a Member of Technical Staff-Engineer at Lucent Technologies and AT&T Network Systems.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology (J.D.)
- Clemson University (M.S.)
- Electrical Engineering
- Illinois Institute of Technology (B.S.)
- Electrical Engineering
- Supreme Court of the State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Chicago Bar Association (CBA)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)