Hoffman Presents “Biofuel Inventions/Innovations and Intellectual Property Law”
MGB Partner and Chair of the Cleantech and Renewables industry team, Richard B. Hoffman, presented a webinar entitled “Biofuel Inventions/Innovations and Intellectual Property Law” on Thursday, November 20, 2008. Mr. Hoffman provided a summary of the various types of intellectual property, pitfalls to avoid, and tips on protecting your intellectual property.
- Patents: Basic requirements for utility patent; types of inventions patents will protect; Composition, Method, and System/Apparatus patents; business method patents (e.g., with carbon credits); Petitions to Make Special; joint developments; and ownership issues.
- Biofuels patents - Some challenges in getting biofuels patents.
- Common IP pitfalls: Searching; Freedom-to-Operate opinions; using CDAs.
- Trade Secrets: Innovations covered; Trade Secret protection programs; "reverse engineering”
- Licensing: Importance of; reasons to license; types of relevant licenses and contracts.
- Examples of biofuels IP-related litigation/controversies.
- Competitive IP intelligence.
- "Free patent" website to use.
This seminar was produced in partnership with Biofuels Journal. A copy of the presentation handout can be found below.