Intellectual property-based initial public offerings (IPOs) are at a new high, the volume and value of mergers, acquisitions, and licensing deals continues to rise, and for many businesses, intangible assets contribute nearly 80 percent of corporate value.
In this IP-focused business climate, companies turn to the attorneys of Marshall, Gerstein & Borun’s IP Transactions Practice Group for clear reasons: we are scientists and engineers who understand our clients’ technologies, learn their businesses, have a thorough understanding of the law, and are adept dealmakers.
Strategies tailored to the demands of business
At Marshall Gerstein, we understand that uncertainty has no place when negotiating a deal. We help clients
Our IP transactions team knows what it’s like to be in our clients’ shoes. A number of our attorneys have worked as general counsel, patent counsel, and technology transfer managers. Whether serving as virtual in-house counsel, providing a second set of eyes on a particular transaction, or simply brainstorming possibilities, this firsthand experience allows us to function as more effective legal advisors. As a result of the roles we play, we have a 360-degree view of transactions and understand how to get deals done efficiently while minimizing risk.
The real deal
On behalf of licensors and licensees, including non-profits, institutions and for-profit companies, our lawyers handle significant, groundbreaking transactions and first-of-a-kind deals from inception to closing. Our ability to develop thoughtful perspectives on key issues leads to more effective IP policy development, consultation on policy interpretation, and involvement in enforcement of policies and related contracts. Whether a contract needs restructuring or a dispute demands resolution, we are available when and where our clients require us.
Recognized for excellence
Marshall Gerstein’s IP Transactions Practice Group is consistently ranked among the world’s best. Recently, we were one of only three such practices to receive top national rankings in Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine’s IAM Patent 1000–The World's Leading Patent Practitioners — clear recognition of the value we bring to client transactions. A number of our attorneys hold leadership positions in key industry organizations such as the Association of University Technology Managers, Certified Licensing Professionals, the Licensing Executives Society, and the Licensing Executives Society International.
We work seamlessly with you to provide the mix of services you need, from leading high-visibility negotiations to counseling behind the scenes on matters that include:
- Developing deal strategy
- Drafting and negotiating IP-related transaction documents, whether deal-specific, master agreements, or broadly applicable templates
- Advising on agreement disputes, including conducting mediation and arbitration and brokering settlement contracts
- Performing thorough due diligence of IP assets and related agreements in connection with auditing, licensing, and M&A activities
- Counseling on employee agreements, policy considerations, and issues related to IP and governmental regulations
- Managing out-licensing portfolios
- Delivering Business-Critical Opinions for Multibillion-Dollar Client
A long-standing clients sought Marshall Gerstein’s review of numerous settlement and license agreements. Marshall Gerstein did this review, analyzed the current case law, and provided an opinion on which of the competitor’s patents were actually licensed. The importance of our analysis is extremely high given the risk of a future suit with the competitor.
- Guiding a Healthcare Organization Through Complex Licensing Agreement
Marshall Gerstein represented a Chicago-based hospital organization and their research center which developed a technology platform to revolutionize cancer treatments by combining digital medicine and genomic data to drive real-time patient care decisions. Marshall Gerstein orchestrated the team, including co-counsel, to advise and execute the IP strategy and agreement considerations. Ultimately, Marshall Gerstein’s ability to understand and allocate practical solutions for the complexities that arose with this matter allowed us to accomplish the client’s goals.
- Marshall Gerstein Crafts Management Agreement Between FieldComm Group and PROFIBUS and PROFINETMarshall Gerstein serves as a strategic advisor to FieldComm Group, a global standards-based non-profit member organization concerning communication technologies for the process industries, including Field Device Integration (FDI) technology. Our attorneys drafted and negotiated an agreement between FieldComm and PROFIBUS and PROFINET.
- Multinational Client Seeks Help from Marshall Gerstein to Close First-of-its-Kind Deal with NIH Program
We advised a multinational company in a groundbreaking transaction to acquire a drug candidate for a new sickle cell therapy — the first such deal to come out of the National Institutes of Health’s (NIH) National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences Therapeutics for Rare and Neglected Diseases program.
- Marshall Gerstein Advises Orion Biosains and Orion Genomics in Transactions for the Development and Commercialization of Palm Oil
Orion Biosains Sdn. Bhd turned to Marshall Gerstein for the agreement support necessary to launch SureSawit™ SHELL gene DNA test, the first commercially developed gene assay for the oil palm industry. Using “DNA-based precision molecular agriculture,” Orion Biosains is aiming to give those who depend on palm oil production the opportunity to earn more through higher yielding trees. Marshall Gerstein also represents Orion Genomics, LLC, the parent company of Orion Biosains, in its other intellectual property transactions, including in connection with a suite of agreements for collaboration with the Malaysian Palm Oil Board on the oil-palm genome. That collaboration led to important discoveries like the identification of the gene responsible for oil-palm production.
- Navigant Adds Global, Offshore Capabilities in Healthcare Sector with RevenueMed Acquisition
We guided Navigant Consulting’s general counsel on all IP-related aspects of the acquisition of RevenueMed. The transaction represented an opportunity for Navigant to strengthen its position as a leading provider of end-to-end revenue cycle business process management services and to expand its platform to include global, offshore capabilities for its clients.
- Marshall Gerstein Helps Heartland Technology Partners Protect and Monetize Innovative Wastewater Treatment Technology
We collaborated with Heartland Technology Partners (HTP) to negotiate finance agreements, prepare licensing agreements, complete patent applications, and draft options on green technologies that help prevent lakes and rivers from becoming polluted with wastewater from oil and gas drilling or other industrial processes.