Sandip H. Patel has successfully counseled clients in all aspects of patent law. He has helped clients obtain and enforce patents, defend against allegations of patent infringement, and design products and processes to avoid their competitors' patents. Those clients are diverse in size and focus, and have included independent inventors, venture capital investors, specialty chemical companies, universities, and multinational corporations. He has a formal education in chemical engineering, and his day-to-day work deals typically with inventions focusing on chemistry and chemical engineering. But, Mr. Patel's work for the Firm’s clients has spanned the entire spectrum of engineering and sciences. And through that experience, he has proven adept at quickly understanding diverse technologies and devising efficient intellectual property strategies that clients have used to achieve their business goals.
Mr. Patel was selected for inclusion in the 2013-2016 Illinois Super Lawyers® lists. Only five percent of the lawyers in the state were selected for this honor. He was also selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2016 edition of The Best Lawyers in America© in the practice area of Patent Law. Additionally, Mr. Patel has been named an "IP Star" in Managing IP's 2016 IP Stars Survey (fka the World IP Handbook and Survey).
- Successfully served as lead counsel in recent patent interferences in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and currently serves as lead counsel in other inter partes proceedings there. Over the years, he has counseled clients in dozens of inter partes matters in the Patent Office in a variety of sciences including biotechnology (e.g., avirulent vaccines, DNA sequencing methods, genetically-engineered plants, and kerotinocyte growth factors), chemistry/chemical engineering (e.g., pharmaceutical compounds and compositions, food processing chemicals, and chemical reactor design), mechanical engineering (e.g., railcar shock absorbers, correction-tape dispensers, and infant diapers), and electrical engineering (e.g., piezoelectric ink-jet printers, process control systems and software).
- Prepared and prosecuted to issuance patent applications relating to consumer products, semiconductors, catalytic reaction engineering processes, industrial chemical compositions, pharmaceutical compositions, and methods of treating various disease states in humans.
- Counseled clients in patent infringement actions in the federal courts involving biotechnology patents (e.g., recombinant growth hormone, recombinant erythropoietin), pharmaceutical chemistry patents (e.g., platinum coordination compounds and methods of treating cancerous tumors), and chemical engineering operations (e.g., air pollution control processes and equipment).
Background and Credentials
Sandip H. Patel has been a partner of the Firm since 2002, having joined as an associate following his graduation from law school in 1996. While at the Firm, he has drafted and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications, and has served as counsel in numerous contested proceedings in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and in associated appeals, and as counsel in a number of patent cases in the federal courts. Mr. Patel also served as chairperson of the Firm’s attorney recruiting committee for ten years beginning in 2002.
Mr. Patel received his J.D. from Indiana University Maurer School of Law, in Bloomington, Indiana, in 1996. During law school he served as a Notes and Comments Editor of the Indiana Law Journal. He received a B.S. degree (with honors) in Chemical Engineering from Michigan State University in 1993.
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law (Bloomington) (J.D.)
- Michigan State University (B.S.)
- Chemical Engineering
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Publications and Presentations
- "High Court May Be Next Stop For PTAB Deference Issue," Law360, April 28, 2016 (featured quotes).
- "Supreme Court Holds that an Accused Infringer’s Belief Regarding Patent Validity is Not a Defense to Induced Infringement," Client Alert, May 27, 2015.
- "Preparing Patents to Withstand AIA Trials and Defending a Patent in AIA Trials," Co-Presenter, 2014 IP Defense Summit, Chicago, IL, October 8, 2014.
- "The amendment conundrum of inter partes review," InsideCounsel, October 3, 2014.
- "The never-ending debate over appellate review of patent claim construction," InsideCounsel, March 18, 2014.
- "Supreme Court to redefine patent law’s definiteness standard," InsideCounsel, February 18, 2014.
Click here to see additional Publications and Presentations.
Representative Inter Partes Matters
Amgen Inc.* v. F. Hoffmann-LaRoche LTD et al.
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
Coca Cola Inc. v. The Procter & Gamble Company*
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Inter partes Reexamination
Matlin v. Aries (ACCO Brands Corporation)*
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Patent Trial and Appeal Board
Opposition and Appeal re: Baxter International Inc.* & Baxter Healthcare S.A.*
Boards of Appeal of the European Patent Office
Patent Opposition and Appeal
Stevens (Newell Rubbermaid Inc.)* v. Tamai (Seed Rubber Company)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Patent Interference Appeal
Click here to see additional Representative Matters.
Community and Professional Involvement
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association