Sandip H. Patel has broad experience in all areas of patent law. He has successfully obtained patents regarding chemical and chemical engineering inventions for a diverse collection of companies that specialize in commodity chemicals, consumer products, fuel production, pharmaceuticals, and semiconductors. Further, he has managed patent portfolios and offered strategic opinion counseling for these companies to their competitive advantage. Additionally, he has broad patent litigation experience in the district and Federal Circuit courts, and extensive experience in leading interferences, reexaminations, and inter partes reviews before the Patent Office. He successfully served recently as lead counsel in contested interferences and inter partes review proceedings, securing favorable judgments regarding mechanical and chemical engineering inventions. He continues to represent clients in these types of proceedings, including an interference pending at the Patent Office regarding fundamental CRISPR technologies.
The clients he advises are diverse and include specialty chemical companies, universities, and a variety of large, multinational corporations focused on biotechnology, chemicals, or consumer products. He has a formal education in chemical engineering, but his work has spanned the entire spectrum of engineering and the chemical and life sciences. And through that experience, he has proven adept at quickly understanding diverse technologies and devising efficient intellectual property strategies that clients have used to achieve their business goals.
Mr. Patel was selected for inclusion in the 2013–2016 Illinois Super Lawyers® lists. Only five percent of the lawyers in the state were selected for this honor. He was also selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2016 and 2017 editions of The Best Lawyers in America© in the practice area of Patent Law. In recognition of his outstanding patent work in life sciences, Mr. Patel has been featured as a “Life Sciences Star” in the 2016 edition of LMG Life Sciences. Additionally, Mr. Patel has been named an “IP Star” in Managing IP's 2016 IP Stars Survey (fka the World IP Handbook and Survey).
- Successfully served as lead counsel in recent patent interferences and inter partes reviews in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and currently represents clients in other such proceedings there.
- Over the years, he has counseled clients in dozens of inter partes matters in the Patent Office in a variety of sciences including biotechnology (e.g., antibody formulations, avirulent vaccines, DNA sequencing methods, fundamental CRISPR technologies, genetically-engineered plants, and kerotinocyte growth factors), chemistry/chemical engineering (e.g., pharmaceutical compounds and compositions, food processing chemicals, and chemical and biochemical reactor design and operation), mechanical engineering (e.g., railcar shock absorbers, correction-tape dispensers, paper shredders, computer locks, and infant diapers), and electrical engineering (e.g., piezoelectric ink-jet printers, process control systems and software).
- Prepared and prosecuted to issuance patent applications relating to consumer products, semiconductors, catalytic reaction engineering processes, industrial chemical compositions, pharmaceutical compositions, and methods of treating various disease states in humans.
- Counseled clients in patent infringement actions in the federal courts involving biotechnology patents (e.g., antibody formulations, recombinant growth hormone, recombinant erythropoietin), pharmaceutical chemistry patents (e.g., platinum coordination compounds and methods of treating cancerous tumors), and chemical engineering operations (e.g., air pollution control processes and equipment).
Background and Credentials
Sandip H. Patel has been a partner of the Firm since 2002, having joined as an associate following his graduation from law school in 1996. While at the Firm, he has drafted and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications, and has served as counsel in dozens of contested proceedings in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and in associated appeals, and as counsel in a number of patent cases in the federal courts. Mr. Patel also served as chairperson of the Firm’s Attorney Recruiting Committee for ten years.
Mr. Patel received his J.D. from Indiana University Maurer School of Law, in Bloomington, Indiana, in 1996. During law school, he served as a Notes and Comments Editor of the Indiana Law Journal. He received a B.S. degree (with honors) in chemical engineering from Michigan State University in 1993.
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law (Bloomington) (J.D.)
- Michigan State University (B.S.)
- Chemical Engineering
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Publications and Presentations
- “Patent Owners and Petitioners Weigh In,” PTAB Bar Association Inaugural Conference, March 2, 2017.
- “AIA Estoppel Provision Not As Restricted As Many Expected,” Law360, January 26, 2017 (featured quotes).
- “High Court May Be Next Stop For PTAB Deference Issue,” Law360, April 28, 2016 (featured quotes).
- “Amendments Case Could Help Patents Survive AIA Review,” Law360, August 16, 2016 (featured quotes).
- “Supreme Court Holds that an Accused Infringer’s Belief Regarding Patent Validity is Not a Defense to Induced Infringement,” Marshall Gerstein Alert, May 27, 2015.
Click here to see additional Publications and Presentations.
Representative Inter Partes Matters
Amgen Inc.* v. F. Hoffmann-LaRoche LTD et al.
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
Coca Cola Inc. v. The Procter & Gamble Company*
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Inter partes Reexamination
Matlin v. Aries (ACCO Brands Corporation)*
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Patent Trial and Appeal Board
Opposition and Appeal re: Baxter International Inc.* & Baxter Healthcare S.A.*
Boards of Appeal of the European Patent Office
Patent Opposition and Appeal
Stevens (Newell Rubbermaid Inc.)* v. Tamai (Seed Rubber Company)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Patent Interference Appeal
Click here to see additional Representative Matters.
Community and Professional Involvement
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- PTAB Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association