Conor S. Hunt focuses his practice on preparation and prosecution of patent applications involving mechanical, electro-mechanical, and software technologies. Clients rely on his counsel for domestic and international patent prosecution strategies, patent evaluation, portfolio management, product clearance, and legal opinions. Due to his wide range of experience in a variety of industries, he is able to understand invention disclosures quickly and collaborate with inventors to prepare a comprehensive patent preparation strategy.
Clients appreciate the way in which Conor approaches each task with client strategy in mind. He has successfully worked with a client through the entire patent process, from provisional application filing to a successful litigation outcome. With this understanding of the practice, clients can rely on an accurate invention disclosure and a meaningful discussion of broadening concepts or alternatives to enhance the potential scope of the application. During prosecution, he works with clients to identify and consider the value of an application when amending claim scope so that the resulting patent will provide desired coverage of a commercial product or idea.
Conor has experience counseling clients in a variety of fields including:
- Medical devices
- Oil and gas pipeline valves and equipment
- Agricultural and material dispensing equipment
- Food processing machinery and packaging
- Barrier operators and barrier systems
- Building construction materials
- Heavy Machinery
- Dental technology and implants
- Industrial control systems
- LED technology and products
- Chromatography systems
- Consumer products and packaging
- Irrigation systems
- Digital and RF electronics
- Mobile media
Background and Credentials
Prior to earning his J.D. from The University of Illinois College of Law, Conor received a B.S. in general engineering from The University of Illinois.
Prior to joining the firm, Conor worked as an intellectual property attorney for an intellectual property boutique in Chicago. During law school, he gained experience working as a judicial law clerk for the Sixteenth Judicial Circuit.
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude)
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (B.S.)
- General Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Publications and Presentations
“How I Made Partner: ‘I Joined The Firm as Special Counsel and I Made It Clear From the Beginning That I Wanted to Make Partner,’ Says Conor Hunt of Marshall, Gerstein & Borun,” Law.com, June 10, 2021.
- “Practical Tips on Drafting Your First Patent Application,” Co-Presenter, Webinar, March 24, 2016.
- “Updates on Design Patent Law: The Hague Agreement and U.S. Design Patent Enforcement,” Co-Presenter, Webinar, September 30, 2015.
- “Provisionally Patented: The Strategic Use of Effective Provisional Applications,” Co-Presenter, Webinar, August 28, 2014.
- IP Alert: “Elements of a Design Patent Claim Can’t Be Challenged for Functionality in an IPR Proceeding,” Co-Author, September 26, 2014.
Community and Professional Involvement
- Chicago Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC)
- Chicago Jesuit Academy