Marshall Gerstein Associate Daniel Gonzalez, Jr. concentrates his practice on intellectual property litigation matters in the areas of biotechnology, life sciences, and pharmaceuticals.
- University of Houston Law Center (J.D.)
- The University of Texas at Dallas (B.S.)
- Chemistry and Molecular Biology
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
Background & Credentials
Daniel received his Bachelor of Science with a double major in Chemistry and Molecular Biology from the University of Texas at Dallas where he also delivered the fall 2016 graduation commencement address. Before law school, Daniel worked alongside electrophysiologists and clinical field engineers conducting clinical research studies for medical device manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies. Daniel received his J.D. from the University of Houston Law Center, in Houston, Texas. While pursuing his law degree, Daniel served as the Editor-in-Chief on Board XXI of The Houston Journal of Health Law & Policy. He also served as a teaching assistant for both Contracts and Criminal Law, after receiving the highest grade in his section for Contracts. He gained practical knowledge while working with faculty co-founding a new course, IP for Tech-Startups. In law school, Daniel received a Dean’s Scholarship in addition to receiving the UHLC Excellence Award. During his final semester of law school, Daniel was also nominated by faculty to receive the Jan Jancin Award for excellence in IP.
Publications and Presentations
- Brief for Biotechnology Innovation Organization, as Amici Curiae, In re Cellect, LLC, Appeal from USPTO, PTAB in Nos. 90/014,453, 90/014,455 and 90/014,457 (Fed. Cir. 2022) (No. 22-1293).
- Brief of the Chicago Patent Attorneys, as Amici Curiae Supporting Petitioner, Interactive Wearables, LLC v. Polar Electro Oy, et al. (2022) (No. 21-1281).
- Daniel Gonzalez, Comment, The Use of Ultra-Long Patent Terms to Incentivize the Development of Novel Antibiotics, 21 HOUS. J. HEALTH L. & POL’Y 269 (2022).
- John Conour & Daniel Gonzalez, Why Method of Treatment Patents for Repurposed Drugs Are Worth the Investment, MBHB SNIPPITS (Oct. 1, 2020), https://media.mbhb.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/01134431/MBHB-Snippets-Alert-MoT-Patents-100120.pdf (republished in Life Science Leader, 2021).