Tom Duston to Present at IP Strategy Summit 2015 – Seattle
IP Litigation Partner Thomas L. Duston will participate in the panel, “Strategies for Dealing with NPEs – Fight or Flight” at the 2015 IP Strategy Summit, held on Thursday, February 26, 2015, at the Four Seasons Hotel, Seattle.
The majority of IP infringement and litigation suits are brought by NPEs. Unfortunately, there is no “one size fits all” strategy for dealing with them, so IP leaders must develop a coherent understanding of when to fight and when to settle. In this presentation, panelists will examine:
- How to evaluate an NPE and the specific threat it poses
- What case history trends mean for your response strategy
- Strategies to deter NPEs at the outset
- The IPR as a tool – balancing cost, risk, and effectiveness
- When you should fight and when you should settle
- Risks and benefits of "taking a stand"
- Is sharing caring? (Is intra-company defense viable?)
Mr. Duston will be joined on the panel by corporate leaders, including:
- Susan A. Brye, Director, Corporate Counsel, Starbucks Coffee Company
- Melissa A. Scanlan, Senior Director, Litigation and Antitrust, T-Mobile USA
- Darcy W. Shearer, Senior Corporate Counsel, Expedia
- Connie Wan, Chief Intellectual Property Officer, Benemilk Ltd.
With the ability to handle litigation across a wide spectrum of technologies, from aerospace and biochemistry to Internet/e-Commerce and medical devices, Mr. Duston adeptly protects the rights of his clients in patent infringement claims and trade secret disputes. He is recognized by his peers and opponents alike as a talented and skilled intellectual property trial attorney. Mr. Duston's clients benefit from his understanding of technology, his creativity, and his tenacity. The Leading Lawyers Network has named him a Leading Lawyer in IP Litigation and profiled him in September 2014's Leading Lawyers Network Magazine - Business Edition. U.S. News and World Report has repeatedly listed Mr. Duston as among "The Best Lawyers in America" in the practice area of Litigation - Intellectual Property. Thompson Reuters has identified him as among the "Top 100" attorneys in Illinois, and repeatedly named him on its list of "Super Lawyers." American Lawyer Media (ALM) and Martindale-Hubbell selected him as a "Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property." Managing IP’s World IP Handbook and Survey named him an "IP Star."