Katya S. Bitkin is a Technical Specialist at Marshall Gerstein and is in tune with the fundamentals of research and development, project management, concise communications, and can creatively analyze and visualize information.
Background and Credentials
Katya is experienced in research and development, training, and data collection for non-profit institutions, healthcare, and clinical research organizations. She has intellectual curiosity at the intersection of the fields of science, design, and communication. With an educational background in biomedical engineering, she is experienced in designing portable system components and native fluorescence and reflectance imaging systems for cancerous oral tissue resections. She is co-inventor on a patent relating to a vision enhancement system for improved detection of epithelial neoplasia.
- University of Texas at Austin (M.S.)
- Biomedical Engineering
- University of Northern California (B.S.E.)
- Biomedical Engineering
Community and Professional Involvement
- Mentored middle school students in an after-school science enrichment program organized by the Northwestern University’s Science in Society Program at Family Focus in Evanston, IL.
Publications and Presentations
- Haynes, A., Drane, D., Bitkin, E.S., McClearn, D., Kelley, J., Basha, S. (October, 2019). Assessing and Improving Critical Thinking Across National, Institutional, and Disciplinary Borders. Paper to be presented at the International Society for the Scholarship of Learning and Teaching conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Bitkin, E.S., Drane, D. (November, 2019). Images as Pictorial Metaphors in Evaluation - a Catalyst for Expression. Paper submitted to American Evaluation Association Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Svistun E, Heintzelman D, Utzinger U, Jacob R, El-Naggar A, Gillenwater A, Richards-Kortum R, “Enhanced Vision Tools for Improved Pre-Cancer Delineation,” Head and Neck, 2004.
- Alizadeh-Naderi R, Svistun E, Benavides J, Gillenwater A, Richards-Kortum R, “Autofluorescence Analysis of Biochemical Transformations in Normal and Dysplastic Oral Cavity Tissue,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, 2003.
- Utzinger U, Bueeler M, Oh S, Heintzelman DL, Svistun E, Abd-El-Barr M, Gillenwater A, Richards-Kortum R. “Optimal Visual Perception and Detection of Oral Cavity Neoplasia,” IEEE Transactions in Biomedical Engineering, 2002.
- Svistun E, Utzinger U, Richards-Kortum R, “Optimal Visual Perception and Detection of Oral Cavity Neoplasia Reflectance and Fluorescence,” Optical Society of America Biomedical Topical Meetings, 2002.
- Gillenwater A, Utzinger U, Svistun E, Pavlova I, Atwood A, Alizadeh-Naderi R, Jacob R, El-Naggar A, Richards-Kortum R, “Fluorescence Spectroscopy and Imaging for In Vivo Detection of Oral Cancer,” United Engineering Foundation Conference: Advances in Optics for Biotechnology, Medicine and Surgery, 2001.
- Utzinger U, Bueeler M, Svistun E, Oh S, Heintzelman DL, Gillenwater A, Richards-Kortum R, “Improved Cancer Screening Through the Use of Enhanced Visual Systems,” SPIE Conference, 2001.