Kwanwoo Lee is a registered patent attorney who secures and protects intellectual property rights for major corporations in the electrical and computer technology fields. Mr. Lee has extensive knowledge in a wide range of areas including computer systems, software design, and related technologies.
Drawing on his electrical engineering background and experience, Mr. Lee manages patent portfolios and prepares and prosecutes patent applications for technologies directed to:
- Communication networks and 4G/LTE standards
- Computer architecture
- Mobile applications and data management
- Internal combustion engines and turbochargers
- Insurance and financial services
- Vehicle navigation
- Security, encryption, and decryption
- Image processing
Mr. Lee also is experienced with the litigation of patent infringement suits with respect to a range of hardware, software, and eCommerce technologies, such as those directed to:
- Lighting systems
- Mobile advertising platforms
- Video camera surveillance
- Check deposit systems
Background and Credentials
Prior to his legal career, Mr. Lee worked at Accenture, where he gained extensive experience in software development and software project management.
Mr. Lee received his J.D., with a Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, from Chicago-Kent College of Law. While attending law school evening classes, he worked at a full-service international law firm as a full-time patent agent, providing patent prosecution services to Fortune 500 companies. Mr. Lee also served as a submissions editor of the Journal of Intellectual Property, drafted patent applications for under-resourced inventors under the Chicago-Kent Patent Hub pro bono program, and was selected as a Chicago IP Colloquium Fellow. He earned CALI awards for the highest grade in Software Patents, Legal Writing III, and Legal Analytics.
Mr. Lee received his B.S. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. While completing his undergraduate studies, he worked as an engineering intern at a start-up company to develop software related to speech recognition technology using LabVIEW.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology (J.D.)
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (B.S.)
- Electrical Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Community and Professional Involvement
- Board of Directors, Asian American Bar Association of Chicago
- Member, Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC)
- Member, Korean American Bar Association of Chicago
Mr. Lee also is an active pro bono advocate, volunteering time with Lawyers for the Creative Arts and the Wills for Heroes Foundation.