Michelle Bolos focuses her practice on intellectual property law, with particular emphasis on trademarks and copyrights. Michelle’s experience includes drafting responses to office actions received by the USPTO, preparing trademark applications, and conducting legal research. She seeks to help clients protect the value of their brand by providing practical advice regarding trademarks and copyrights.
Background and Credentials
Prior to joining Marshall Gerstein, Michelle worked as an extern for the Honorable Charles P. Kocoras at the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. She received her J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Illinois College of Law. She was also awarded three CALI Awards for Excellence. During law school, Michele served as the production editor for The Journal of Law, Technology, & Policy, was a member of the Women’s Law Society and the Intellectual Property Law Society. She also participated in an IP Clinic and helped several start-up businesses protect their intellectual property rights by preparing trademark applications on their behalf. Michelle also holds a B.S. degree in psychology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude)
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (B.S.)
Publications and Presentations
- “Apart at the Seams – Copyright Protection for Apparel: Star Athletica, LLC v. Varsity Brands, Inc.,” Marshall Gerstein Alert, March 28, 2017.
- “Lee v Tam,” Intellectual Property Magazine, March 2, 2017.
- “10 Years of MedImmune: What Trademark Owners Learned," Law360, February 14, 2017.
- “Supreme Court Considers Copyright Protection in Designs on Useful Articles,” Marshall Gerstein Alert, November 11, 2016.
- “A Highway in the Sky: A Look at Land Use Issues That Will Arise with the Integration of Drone Technology,” University of Illinois Journal of Law, Technology, and Policy, 2015.
Community and Professional Involvement
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois – Co-Chair of the Intellectual Property Committee
- Hellenic Bar Association
- American Bar Association