Ms. Hartzell has significant experience in intellectual property litigation, including cases involving patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret. She also has experience enforcing covenants not-to-compete and confidentiality agreements. Clients hire her to protect their intellectual property rights and to defend them against infringement allegations. She works closely with her clients to understand their business needs and aggressively defends her clients’ interests, seeking the most efficient route to resolve litigation in a way that satisfies those needs.
In addition to her leadership role as the Chair of the Firm's Medical Devices practice, Julianne is a recognized leader in the legal and business communities:
- The Best Lawyers in America© list, Litigation -- Intellectual Property category (2016)
- "IP Star" in Managing IP's IP Stars Survey (fka the World IP Handbook and Survey) (2016)
- Profiles in Diversity Journal's "Women Worth Watching" honoree (2015)
- Law Bulletin’s "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty To Watch" (2014)
- Illinois Rising Stars® lists (2011-2016)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- "Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property" by American Lawyer Media (ALM) and Martindale-Hubbell (2013)
- "Emerging Lawyer," Emerging Lawyers Magazine (2015-2016)
- Chicago Bar Association's Alliance for Women's Alta May Hulett Award (2012)
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Secured grant of summary judgment that patent claims were invalid because the patent specification lacked sufficient written description of the claimed invention.
- Obtained multi-million dollar judgment for trademark and copyright infringement as well as unfair competition and deceptive trade practices from an online retailer selling counterfeit goods.
- Obtained jury verdict in favor of defendant on more than 100 trademark and copyright infringement claims brought against a manufacturer.
- Reached early resolution on behalf of medical device company accused of patent infringement.
- Secured non-infringement jury verdict for photographer after successful trial defense against allegations of copyright infringement.
- Won a multi-million-dollar settlement from the world’s largest manufacturer of silicone devices used in reconstructive surgery in a patent infringement claim against the inventor of a revolutionary new device.
- Successfully defended three of the nation’s largest internet retailers, with combined annual revenues in excess of $10 billion, against the alleged infringement of early e-commerce patents for electronic shopping carts and HTTP methods.
Background and Credentials
Ms. Hartzell brings strong experience as a litigator protecting her clients’ intellectual property rights and defending those accused of infringement. She has been lead counsel in numerous intellectual property disputes, including copyright and trademark jury trials. She is also a registered patent attorney.
Ms. Hartzell earned her J.D. from The University of Michigan Law School. As a student, she also interned for the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office, where she received valuable courtroom experience.
She obtained her B.S. in Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering from Duke University. As an undergraduate, she interned with Procter & Gamble and Visteon (then a division of Ford Motor Company), and also worked as a research assistant focusing on MRI imaging technology and failure analysis.
- The University of Michigan Law School (J.D.)
- Duke University (B.S.)
- Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
Publications and Presentations
- "gTLD: Emerging Best Practices,” Panel Moderator, Trademark & Copyright Strategy Summit: New York, November 12, 2015.
- "Preparing for Litigation & Trial," Panelist, Trademark & Copyright Strategy Summit: Chicago, October 15, 2015.
- "Trademark Enforcement: Policing & Enforcing Your Trademarks," Moderator, Trademark & Copyright Strategy Summit: Chicago, October 15, 2015.
- "Discussion of US and Canada Trade Secret Protection and the recent EU Directive for the Protection of Trade Secrets," Panelist, Licensing Executives Society International’s Pan-American Young Members Congress, Chicago, IL, September 11, 2015.
- "Post Judgment Royalties," Panel Moderator, Damages & Injunctions Committee Conference, Washington, DC, May 27, 2015.
Click here to see additional Publications and Presentations.
Community and Professional Involvement
- Coalition of Women's Initiatives in Law, President 2011-2012
- The Richard Linn American Inn of Court, member of Board of Directors 2012-2014
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO), Damages and Injunctions Committee 2012-2015; Litigation Committee, 2010-2011
- International Trademark Association, Design Rights Subcommittee of the Related Rights Committee, 2013-2015
- Adjunct Professor of Law at Chicago Kent College of Law, teaching a course entitled Strategies in Intellectual Property
Ms. Hartzell also is an active pro bono advocate, serving on the firm’s Pro Bono committee and volunteering time with Lawyers for the Creative Arts, Cabrini Green Legal Aid, and Chicago Volunteer Legal Services.
She is also a member of these professional societies:
- Richard Linn American Inn of Court
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation Fellows
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Lawyers Association of Chicago
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers