Julianne has significant experience in intellectual property litigation, including cases involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. She also has experience enforcing covenants not-to-compete and confidentiality agreements. Clients hire her to protect their intellectual property rights and to defend them against infringement allegations. She works closely with her clients to understand their business needs and aggressively defends her clients’ interests, seeking the most efficient route to resolve litigation in a way that satisfies those needs.
In addition to her leadership role as the Chair of the firm's Medical Devices practice, Julianne is a recognized leader in the legal and business communities:
- America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators® (2018)
- "Leading Lawyer" by Leading Lawyers, a division of Law Bulletin Publishing Company (2018–2021)
- Coalition of Women's Initiatives in Law Inspiration Award (2017)
- Illinois Super Lawyers® list (2017–2021)
- "Life Sciences Stars" in LMG Life Sciences (2018–2020)
- Litigation Trailblazers and Pioneers list, National Law Journal (2016)
- The Best Lawyers in America© list, Litigation—Intellectual Property category (2016–2021)
- “IP Star” in Managing IP's IP Stars Survey (fka the World IP Handbook and Survey) (2016–2020)
- “Emerging Lawyer,” Emerging Lawyers Magazine (2015–2017)
- Illinois Rising Stars® lists (2011–2016)
- Profiles in Diversity Journal's “Women Worth Watching” honoree (2015)
- Law Bulletin’s “40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty To Watch” (2014)
- “Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property” by American Lawyer Media (ALM) and Martindale-Hubbell (2013)
- Chicago Bar Association's Alliance for Women's Alta May Hulett Award (2012)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Secured grant of summary judgment that patent claims were invalid because the patent specification lacked sufficient written description of the claimed invention.
- Obtained multi-million dollar judgment for trademark and copyright infringement as well as unfair competition and deceptive trade practices from an online retailer selling counterfeit goods.
- Obtained jury verdict in favor of defendant on more than 100 trademark and copyright infringement claims brought against a manufacturer.
- Reached early resolution on behalf of medical device company accused of patent infringement.
- Secured non-infringement jury verdict for photographer after successful trial defense against allegations of copyright infringement.
- Won a multi-million dollar settlement from the world’s largest manufacturer of silicone devices used in reconstructive surgery in a patent infringement claim against the inventor of a revolutionary new device.
- Successfully defended three of the nation’s largest internet retailers, with combined annual revenues in excess of $10 billion, against the alleged infringement of early e-commerce patents for electronic shopping carts and HTTP methods.
Background and Credentials
Julianne brings strong experience as a litigator protecting her clients’ intellectual property rights and defending those accused of infringement. She has been lead counsel in numerous intellectual property disputes, including copyright and trademark jury trials. She is also a registered patent attorney.
Julianne earned her J.D. from The University of Michigan Law School. As a student, she also interned for the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office, where she received valuable courtroom experience.
She obtained her B.S. in mechanical and biomedical engineering from Duke University. As an undergraduate, she interned with Procter & Gamble and Visteon (then a division of Ford Motor Company), and also worked as a research assistant focusing on MRI imaging technology and failure analysis.
- The University of Michigan Law School (J.D.)
- Duke University (B.S.)
- Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
Publications and Presentations
- "Taking Your Review Feedback into a New Year," Speaker, ChiWIP Professional Development Webinar, January 27, 2021.
- "Mobility Allowance," Author, Intellectual Property Magazine, December 2019/January 2020 Issue.
- "Navigating the RFP Process: How to Get Invited to the Party and More," Moderator, ChiWIP In-House Lunch Series, October 30, 2018.
- "'The Forgotten Pleading' Serves as Guide to Determining Best Defense," Co-author, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, July 25, 2018.
- "Big Patent Paydays Remain Tough With $140M Fed. Circ. Ax," Law360, July 13, 2018 (featured quotes).
Community and Professional Involvement
- Coalition of Women's Initiatives in Law, President 2011–2012
- The Richard Linn American Inn of Court, member of Board of Directors 2012–2014
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO), Vice Chair of Damages and Injunctions Committee, 2021 and member of Committee since 2012; Litigation Committee, 2010–2011
- International Trademark Association, Design Rights Subcommittee of the Related Rights Committee, 2013–2015
- ChIPs, Global Summit Content Committee, 2021
- Adjunct Professor of Law at Chicago Kent College of Law, teaching a course entitled Strategies in Intellectual Property
Julianne also is an active pro bono advocate, serving on the Firm’s Pro Bono Committee and volunteering time with Lawyers for the Creative Arts, Cabrini Green Legal Aid, and Chicago Volunteer Legal Services.
She is also a member of these professional societies:
- Richard Linn American Inn of Court
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation Fellows
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Lawyers Association of Chicago
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Chicago Women in Intellectual Property (ChiWIP)