Primarily responsible for drafting and prosecuting patent, copyright and trademark applications, James E. Shultz, Jr. conducts work for clients within the United States and internationally. James has significant experience in patent appeal, opposition, and interference proceedings. He has extensive experience in evaluation of third party patent portfolios and drafting patentability, freedom-to-operate and infringement opinions. He has drafted a number of technology transfer, joint development and licensing agreements. Additionally, James has significant experience with patent and trademark litigation. Clients identify with his well-balanced approach earned through his background as an in-house attorney and value his understanding of intellectual property law and intellectual property portfolio development and management.
- Drafted and prosecuted patents, copyrights, and trademarks, and drafted agreements and licenses for top global automotive products company
- Provided foreign prosecution for patents on appeal and attended opposition proceedings in Tokyo and Munich
James has also successfully represented the following matters:
- Artificial vision systems
- Distributed control systems
- Electro-optical technologies
- Power system facilities
- Programmable logic controllers
- Wireless and wired digital networks
Background and Credentials
Prior to joining Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP, James served as an in-house intellectual property attorney at a global automotive products company that markets high technology electronics. As a result, he provides a balanced perspective to electrical engineering clients in need of prosecuting patents, trademarks, and copyrights.
For innovators within the electrical, software and mechanical engineering industries, James has a keen familiarity with marketable product design, permitting him to draft agreements and licenses to protect organizations’ trade secrets. He also provides clients with trademark litigation support and counsel.
He completed a J.D. from Capital University Law School in Columbus, Ohio. He also received an M.S. in electrical and computer engineering and a B.S. in electrical engineering from Ohio University.
- Capital University (J.D.)
- Ohio University (M.S.)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Ohio University (B.S.)
- Electrical Engineering
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
Community and Professional Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Michigan Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association